• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Indexing head vs rotary table with indexing plates

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
For me, it's the ability to set angles.

How's Longmont? We spent about four and a half years up there, in the NE part of town near the golf course. Nice town. Too cold in the winter though. ;)

benmychree

John York
A regular dividing head can divide a multitude of divisions that a rotary table with plates cannot, being limited to the number of divisions allowed by the plates. A universal dividing head can divide literally nearly any desired number of divisions, including prime numbers. If one has a special dividing plate for a regular dividing head, angles can be also divided to a high degree of fineness and accuracy.

starr256

Iron
Registered Member
First, the weather is as changeable as ever. Snow one day, 70'F the next. My question is related to clock making, an endeavor to be. I have looked at making a small indexing head for the wheels, but that seems to require the making of indexing plate, which requires sone form of indexing facility. Sort of a chicken and the egg issue. Or an MC Escher thing. Anyway, started looking at options and got more confused, hence the request for enlightenment.

benmychree

John York
We don't have snow here, but I hear you, one day 85 degrees, 55 the next day! In my opinion, if the goal is making gears for a clock or anything else, a dividing head is the necessary tool; a rotary table could be used as well if it had a dividing attachment, that is the table would have a worm drive and dividing plates as does a true dividing head; as I previously noted, an indexer has generally only one indexing plate, and is limited to a small number of divisions, perhaps 24 in most of them.

[6]
[5] [7]