• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Indexing Head?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
A friend gave me this after I mentioned I was interested in an indexing head. It was locked-up, so I pulled it apart, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled. (Would benefit from a long soak in Evaporust, but I didn't have time to do that today). Kind of a neat mechanism--basically a ratchet with 24 detents (15º). It also has an adjustable stop so you can index it at increments other than 15°. It actually wasn't frozen, but rather had a spring loaded pin that drops into a hole, presumably to keep you from going past 360º.
IMG_1074.JPG

34_40

Dazed and Confused
Wow, that's a VERY good friend! Nice piece, any plans to make something with it?

benmychree

John York
Looks nice, but limited in usefulness due to the lack of a worm gear and dividing plates.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
It is really good for quick indexing on jobs that are not too complicated. It is like a mini super spacer, with the bonus of an adjustable stop. A VERY good friend indeed, with a heart of gold.

ACHiPo

Wow, that's a VERY good friend! Nice piece, any plans to make something with it?
You mean besides making my bench a mess?

No immediate plans, but looking forward to experimenting.

ACHiPo

It is really good for quick indexing on jobs that are not too complicated. It is like a mini super spacer, with the bonus of an adjustable stop. A VERY good friend indeed, with a heart of gold.
I couldn’t agree more!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
nice set up Evan! very cool
if you are gonna use evaporust, just make sure you submerge the entire part
otherwise you'll get a funny looking rust line where the part was not submerged

malmac

Registered
Registered
I use my indexing head all the time - not to it's potential - not even close to that - but putting a hex head on a shaft, bolt or other fitting. Doing 180 degree holes for threading and so forth. I think you will find it a very useful piece of equipment.

[6]
[5] [7]