Indexing Head?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A friend gave me this after I mentioned I was interested in an indexing head. It was locked-up, so I pulled it apart, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled. (Would benefit from a long soak in Evaporust, but I didn't have time to do that today). Kind of a neat mechanism--basically a ratchet with 24 detents (15º). It also has an adjustable stop so you can index it at increments other than 15°. It actually wasn't frozen, but rather had a spring loaded pin that drops into a hole, presumably to keep you from going past 360º.
IMG_1074.JPG

Wow, that's a VERY good friend! Nice piece, any plans to make something with it?

Looks nice, but limited in usefulness due to the lack of a worm gear and dividing plates.

It is really good for quick indexing on jobs that are not too complicated. It is like a mini super spacer, with the bonus of an adjustable stop. A VERY good friend indeed, with a heart of gold.

Wow, that's a VERY good friend! Nice piece, any plans to make something with it?
You mean besides making my bench a mess?

No immediate plans, but looking forward to experimenting.

It is really good for quick indexing on jobs that are not too complicated. It is like a mini super spacer, with the bonus of an adjustable stop. A VERY good friend indeed, with a heart of gold.
I couldn’t agree more!

nice set up Evan! very cool
if you are gonna use evaporust, just make sure you submerge the entire part
otherwise you'll get a funny looking rust line where the part was not submerged

I use my indexing head all the time - not to it's potential - not even close to that - but putting a hex head on a shaft, bolt or other fitting. Doing 180 degree holes for threading and so forth. I think you will find it a very useful piece of equipment.

Back