Indi-cal Bore/groove Gauge

Here is my set used with a Bestest indicator . This is a very handy little tool . I used to have to make special tips for this on many projects . Many of our grooves were impossible to measure with conventional tools .
Mmcmdl,
Any tips on making tips?
I've not threaded this small. Based on my measurements she is a coarse 2x56tpi.
I need to check if my 15" Colcester will even do a 56tpi....

Daryl
MN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Mmcmdl,
Any tips on making tips?
I've not threaded this small. Based on my measurements she is a coarse 2x56tpi.
I need to check if my 15" Colcester will even do a 56tpi....

Daryl
MN

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Daryl , I use to turn down a bunch of blanks and pop the threads off with my small die head . I still have the head and I could most likely find my chasers . I don't have a lathe at the moment but I'm in the process of buying a machine shop once again . I'm downsizing and going back into my original basement setting . Tired of fighting mother nature in the garage . If I find those chasers , I'll lend them to you along with the head and you can pop them out !

I've got one of those, and never had an issue like Ken mentioned. The only caveat I would point out is that in the setting of them, if all the travel limits aren't within the indicator limits, it can move the point position on a friction held point, or knock the LW ratchet to the next notch and mess up your zero.

I also have a Starrett groove gun, but sometimes I like the lighter touch of the Indical. Seems like I am missing one of the extension rods, from loaning it out. I think the threads got broken off so it "disappeared". I also like the wire contacts for narrow grooves like retaining ring grooves. Overal, a handy tool to have in the arsenal.

Yes , they are cumbersome to set and use , but they are lifesavers sometimes . We actually made tips and bent them in 2 places at 90 degrees to get around some tight spots . We actually sleeved a few where the tips would go thru small bores and then slid the sleeves up and measured much larger grooves . LOL , government work . Proximity fuses and projectiles . We finally convinced the engineers to make them in 2 pieces in production !

Daryl , I'll post a pic in one minute to help you out .

If you have one of these .......

a releasing tap holder or die holder . Make up a quick die holder that holds the 2-56 die and slip it into this . Feed that Colchester to a set stop at a slower feed than the pitch of the die . When your machine hits your stop , the holder pulls out and spins with the material . Reverse the spindle and it backs off the thread . Pretty simple but effective .

IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG

BG,
Spent a little time sorting stuff again today. Found one of these in the piles. No tips....
Perhaps I'll find one as I continue to dig. Perhaps not.
You mentioned making tips in your initial post.
Looks like PennTool and MSC have the points/tips for sale. However, I might want the challenge of attempting to make my own, as I've not threaded anything this small.
Looks like 2x56. Can you confirm?
Did you make tips? Did you turn them on a lathe or use a die?
Suggestions welcome!!

Daryl
MN
View attachment 262622
Hi Daryl,

Yup, 2-56 thread. I made a tip for mine so it's complete. Nothing super critical on the dimensions as the Indi-cal is calibrated on each set up. Recall using 303 or 304 for the tip I made.

Bruce

If you have one of these .......

a releasing tap holder or die holder . Make up a quick die holder that holds the 2-56 die and slip it into this . Feed that Colchester to a set stop at a slower feed than the pitch of the die . When your machine hits your stop , the holder pulls out and spins with the material . Reverse the spindle and it backs off the thread . Pretty simple but effective .

Hi Daryl,

Yup, 2-56 thread. I made a tip for mine so it's complete. Nothing super critical on the dimensions as the Indi-cal is calibrated on each set up. Recall using 303 or 304 for the tip I made.

Bruce

Thanks mmcmdl and BG for confirming the 2x56. Had to get out the old biology microscope I keep in the shop to count the threads.
Somewhere there is a small die head I'll look today to learn the size of the head and if there might be any chasers with it. If I find/buy chasers then I may need additional coaching on putting her to work! But, mms coaching above is a great start.

Daryl
MN

Found a Geometric die head I'm not sure if it works or if it's precision scrap.
Never used one.
Have several die heads in the pile, and a couple dozen chasers. None 2-56. Not sure which fits what or how to know if these vintage tools work.
I'm also finding 2-56 hand dies online, hoping to look for a 2-56 in the stacks here before I purchase anything.
It might be a couple weeks until I get back to this.....
Thanks all for the assist!!

Daryl
MN

Back