India stone

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
How do I clean an India stone?

I applied thin machine oil (3 in 1) when I used it but now it's blackish, nowhere near it's original brownish-orange color.

Mike.

If they are real dirty you could use Acetone then re oil them. I keep mine it Fuel oil #2 It stinks but keeps the stones clean.

Mike i forgot to mention if you don't have Acetone around then Brake cleaner works just as well.

Last edited:
Soaking the stone in kerosene or similar will get the crud loosened up and out of the pores. It is far easier and quicker to clean stones after each use rather than waiting until they are a dry and clogged mess. They will also do a better job for you. Do not use heavier oils like motor oil with stones, lighter solvents like kerosene will keep the pores open and cutting properly.

I find kerosene works well and doesn’t flash off as quickly as some other solvents. I expect even something fairly benign like mineral spirits would work just as well. As long as the surface hasn’t become glazed, the black residue should rinse off pretty easily.

-frank

I JUST LOVE THIS SITE. Love it, Love it... Love it!
Quick, solid, well informed responses.

My only issue with using solvents is; I'm in a basement shop, a hole in the ground, with a pilot lighted boiler and hot water heater in that same hole. I will have to do the cleaning outside or in the garage. I'm not ready to see the earth from outer space just yet. :)

Mike.

I JUST LOVE THIS SITE. Love it, Love it... Love it!
Quick, solid, well informed responses.

My only issue with using solvents is; I'm in a basement shop, a hole in the ground, with a pilot lighted boiler and hot water heater in that same hole. I will have to do the cleaning outside or in the garage. I'm not ready to see the earth from outer space just yet. :)

Mike.

Yes good ventilation is imperative. You probably wouldn't like the view from outer space anyway. Keep safe.

A little kerosene won't be too bad if you use a little plastic jar to seal it up in. It can be left for a while, and hit with an old toothbrush later. I find that if the stone is neglected and becomes glazed. a quick rubbing with a flat section of a silicon carbide angle grinder masonry disk helps clean it up.

I haven't let the stone dry up.
I've been using it intermittently during bouts of scraping.

I will take it outside to the shed and have a go at it with some mineral spirits and a soft brush.

Thank everyone.
Mike

I think mineral spirits (paint thinner) works best to keep stones free cutting and the pores open.

I just bought 2 new electric tooth brushes, guess what I'm going to use the old ones for.

Back