Indicating Barrel

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I know were supposed to use a tenths indicator when setting up a barrel for chambering or threading. With that being said, has anyone chambered a barrel dialed in with a thousandth indicator or just stopped when you got it close to .001? I wonder how much it actually affects the accuracy of the finished barrel. In theory a barrel dialed in to .0001" should be more accurate than one at .001" but can the shooter tell the difference?

I don't indicate with a tenth because I'm told to.
I do it because I CAN.
If a thou is all you can do, do what you can the best you can.

There's many, many links in the chain between the lathe and the bullseye. There could be many deficiencies along the way. One deficiency that won't be is my machine work.

I hope to get time to chamber two blanks from the same manufacturer and find out if there’s a noticeable difference in accuracy. I will use hand loaded ammunition and the same receiver to eliminate as many variables as possible. I was just wondering if anyone has tested this yet?

With a lathe large enough to hold a barrel and a decent fixture, I don't see why it would be too hard to hold the runout within 0.0002" or better. Obviously this necessitates a quality indicator (I wouldn't trust an import one when working in tenths), but a bit of patience would get you there. I have an Interapid 312B-3 swiss style (integral swivel stem + extended range, dual dial) test indicator. Paid $100 used with recent calibration, but you can get them new for $300. Good for internal and external indicating and more versatile than a plain dial indicator.

I am going to have to purchase a new indicator as I only have a shars brand that’s not worth the price I paid for it. I am watching eBay for a federal or compaq.

I personally really like the extra dial range. You'll know if an indicator has it when it has a second dial. Both my Fowler 0.0005" test indicator and my Interpaid 0.0001" test indicators have the double range. Since the measuring range is so small on these instruments, having the added range makes it easier to get your part roughly centered originally, followed by a more precise adjustment with the big dial. Just my opinion.

This is a "swiss" style test indicator.

1633968106000.png

I worked in the trade for 45 years. At one time or another I had a Starret Last Work, Federal, and Fowler indicator until I saw and bought an Interapid. The best indicator I've ever used. The Interapid lasted 20 years until I retired and was as good on my last day of as the day I bought it. Don't go cheap on an indicator.
macd55

Is there a place that rebuilds indicators? Also if I am going to spend $300 on one, I want to make sure i am not purchasing a fake.

Is there a place that rebuilds indicators? Also if I am going to spend $300 on one, I want to make sure i am not purchasing a fake.
Long Island indicator co is a well known one. Not cheap but has a great reputation. Won’t work on import stuff, only quality brands.

any time you buy used or cheap, you risk fakes. If you’re buying new, I’d buy from an authorized distributor.

Back