Indicating Barrel

I hesitate to ask what happened and how but it would be good for us to know.

Did you have to make a custom resizing die for that chamber?

This was three years ago. It was my second or third chambering job. I made a mistake in cutting the relief groove and rolled a thread slightly because I didn't have enough angle on the tool. I didn't discover this until I had finished the barrel was tightening it to the action in the barrel vise. The action went a 1/4 turn more than it did when hand tightening on the lathe. So I had to re-indicate the barrel in the lathe, fix the relief groove, cut the chamber deeper, and deepen the cone.

As I was pushing the reamer in the chamber, with a style of floating reamer holder I haven't ever used again, it kissed the back of the chamber and made my chamber slightly oversize. Somewhere around .002" larger than what the reamer usually cuts.

I didn't have these kinds of issue anymore. I known how to avoid rolling a thread.

All my reamers for BR rifles are custom. We spend a lot of time figuring out what specs work best with a certain kind of brass and bullet.

Not every barrel will shoot the same they say, but one year when at Camp Perry, in the shoot off for the Leech Cup at the National Long Range Championships, watched John Whidden's rifle trigger break in mid string, got up and walked to his truck and pulled out another rifle. He didn't change ammo, that rifle shot the same load as the other. He went on to win.

The specific shooting discipline's accuracy requirements will determine if that will work. Highpower and PRS don't have very rigorous accuracy requirements. F-Class is a little more demanding in terms of accuracy.

With BR, swapping rifles and not using the fine-tuned ammo developed specifically for that barrel doesn't lead to good results.

With hunting rifles, where even a long range hunting rig is not handicapped by .5 to .6 MOA, there are certain loads that seem to work in a lot of guns.

To @3strucking question, last year my shop had six rifles built by the same gunsmith. (Very soon I'll being doing most of the chambering work, after our PM 1440 GT arrives.) Same reamer, same action, same stock, same barrel, same brass, primer, and bullet; all in 300 PRC. Four of these rifle like an N-570 load, the other two liked H-1000.

Maybe that is representative. Two-thirds of the time a given load works for many different barrels.

Back