Indicator question

D

Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ok guys, I have a 7 x 12 mini lathe that I'm tooling up. As far an indicator which would be most useful, a dial or DTI? Thanks for the advise

If at all possible, a 1" travel indicator and a TDI that reads in 1/2 thou increments would be ideal and cover your bases. TDIs have a very limited travel of about +/- 15 thou (30 thou all total) and it's too limited to initially setup a piece so, you use the 1" travel indicator to get in the ballpark then use the TDI for more refined measurements. -This is assuming you have a 4 Jaw chuck. When you first put a piece in a 4J, it's likely going to be pretty far off at first.

If affording two is not ideal, go with the 1" travel indicator first.

Ray

I agree with Ray. I got my 1 inch dial indicator first. Very useful still, but I find I use my 0.0005" DTI more frequently. Still, there are some things a DTI will not do because of the very short length of travel. If you can only afford one, get the dial indicator first, and save up for a decent DTI later. If you are on a budget, the DTIs from Harbor Freight and Grizzly are very servicable (I have 1 Grizz, and 2 HF units), and you can get them for about $10 with the right coupon. You'll also want to buy or make some sort of holder.

After a year I have started a small collection. I have different bases too.

I am making job specific ones as well.

like these.

CenterGauge.jpg Picture 002.jpg

Back