Indicol 178 and Starrett Last Word 711

I probably should have done my homework before buying these two items. Can anyone here tell me what attachment I need that will make these two compatible? The 711 came with a body clamp for a 1/4" diameter shaft and the 178 is rigged for an indicator with a dove tail.

I'll post this for posterity ... the cylindrical attachment on the table to the right of the Indicol is original indicator mount with a 1/4" dovetail that will not work with a Starrett Last Word 711. I machined a replacement to accept a 1/4" rod that works with the body clamp included with the indicator.

bill70J - The cylindrical holder by Indicol also requires a dovetail.

IMG_0227.JPG

Ha, I did the same thing several months ago. The used set came with most of the pieces.
I have collected other devices that are compatible with the spindle holding Indicol work.
sometimes I get caught up in the brand and make a purchase that in retrospect I would not have made.
Mr. Bret, you may need to make the part you need to make it all work.

One indicator and one indicator bracket, to tram my mill. I did not know that stock Indicol is not compatible with this particular indicator.

Ha, I did the same thing several months ago. The used set came with most of the pieces.
I have collected other devices that are compatible with the spindle holding Indicol work.
sometimes I get caught up in the brand and make a purchase that in retrospect I would not have made.
Mr. Bret, you may need to make the part you need to make it all work.

I did, from 1018, in the pic above.

I see, why did you not just make or buy a simple bent round bar that may be held in a drill chuck or collet for this purpose?

The above pictured device seems a bit of complicated overkill for simply indicating the head of a mill.

Back