Induma milling machine weight???

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'll most likely be bringing home an Induma milling machine. I'm guessing it's a 1-S, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to determine two numbers:

1- Total weight of the machine fully assembled.
2- Weight of just the base, completely stripped of the other components (table, knee, head, turret, etc.).

I need to make sure I can pick it off the truck when I get it here. I know I can lift a Bridgeport base (fully stripped), because I've done that before, but the base on the Induma looks to be a lot beefier and heavier.

Thanks!
Ted

We had a S-1 Induma in the shop I worked at. While I can't give you the exact weights you need, I will say it was 20-25% heavier than the 9 x 49 Bridgeport we also had. We moved them both around the shop a couple of times with the same hoists and lifts and it was evident the Induma was heavier.

Another question came to mind as well. Does this machine have metric or imperial hardware/fasteners?

Ted

Sorry Ted, I don't remember about the fasteners. It's been a bit over 10 years since I retired.

It's Italian so it must be metric- Yes?
-M

Yep, it's Italian and that's why I'm wondering... I guess it comes down to how much of a Bridgeport clone it actually is. I found a manual on line and it clearly shows some of the parts in inch units, but others appear to be metric. From doing research, it appears they made two versions, one for the US market and the other for Europe. I guess I'll find out for myself in a couple of days... ;)

Thanks,
Ted

I would guess that even the US version still has metric fasteners, they probably just give dimensions in both inch and metric units
We need Super Mario to chime in here

They are metric ,except the bed takes standard t nuts . They are heavier than a Bridgeport. Would agree with JCP on the weight estimate. Back gear timing belt hard to find was the biggest problems. They will take heavier cuts than a Bridgeport. Fit and finish is better than most Asian machines.

Not the same really, but I have a G. Durour which has a plate on it saying "Made in England for the US" or something to that effect. The table takes 5/8" t nuts but the fasteners for the whole machine are metric.

They are metric ,except the bed takes standard t nuts . They are heavier than a Bridgeport. Would agree with JCP on the weight estimate. Back gear timing belt hard to find was the biggest problems. They will take heavier cuts than a Bridgeport. Fit and finish is better than most Asian machines.

Thanks. Any idea where I can get the belt if needed?

Ted

Back