Info needed on G&E shaper Feed Selector

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
I am making progress on getting my 16" G & E shaper running and discovered that I am missing the feed chart that is supposed to be on the feed selector. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have a 8-speed machine from around 1943. Would anyone with a G & E post some photos of the band with the feed increments on it?
I really need to know where "0" (zero) is, first (out of focus) photo shows handle all the way to the right with detent arrow all the way on the left.
Feed Lever photo C.JPG
Feed Lever photo B.JPG Close up of detent with handle in far right position, arrow is at the left (lower) location.

Feed Lever photo A.JPG Here is the lever in the down/left position, putting the arrow/detent as far right as it can travel.

My assumption is that this last photo is showing the zero feed (0 feed) location. Notice the slight space between where the arrow and detent is and the rest of the equally spaced V's.

Anyone?

thanks,

Mike

I do not know that machine, and I may be wrong, but I assume that the control does not go to a gear box or other rigidly incremental mechanism in the shaper. On most machines there is just a sleeve that slides on a rod to make the feed adjustment and I am guessing your machine is a more advanced approach to that method, moving the parts inside to protect them and the operator from damage. So there may not be any actual digital increments that correspond to the markings, and any that may have been provided may have been near guesses. The chart may have simply said "Feed -- less--- more". Still, it would be nice to have pics of the original numbers (or captions) labels if there were any to make the machine as original.

Bob,
Thanks for your response, I think the detents corresponds to how many thousands of an inch the table will move with each stroke and has digital increments listed. I've been viewing everything that I can find on YouTube and can see numbers listed on the band but cannot read them. The 1936 manual that is on Keith Rucker's VintageMachinery.org site specifies to put the feed in "0" during setup until it can be verified that the motor is turning in the correct direction. I know that the oil pump will not operate if the motor is going the wrong way but I don't know if any other damage will/can occur.

Steve, thanks for the photos of the 20", I see that the same person who painted mine painted yours. I like the orange paint better ;)
I look forward to seeing the pictures of your 14" just to compare the differences (if any)

Thanks,

Mike
Here you go and its a more conventional color
IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

Thanks, your photos have confirmed where the "0" / feed off is located.
do you know the ages of the shapers?

Im not sure the 20" belongs to a friend he bought it at auction and stored it where I work. The 14" is mine I think it is from the 1940s but that is speculation on my part

My 20/24 (24" stroke on a 20" body casting) G&E universal has zero for the first click (handle all the way forward), then .010, .020, and onwards by .010 increments.

benmychree, thanks for checking. There a page from a manual posted over on another site with the increments. The 16" and larger machines have a .010 increase per adjustment while the smaller shapers were 0.005 increments. Put the belts on, oil in the housing and started her up this afternoon. Runs smooth and quiet. I need to get the electricals completed and then make some chips

Back