Info on Enco 100-5200 knee mill saught - alternative to mini/bench mill...

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Hey all

I've been in the market for a PM25mv or maybe smaller mill like LMS HiTorque. I do auto restoration with side orders of hardware prototyping and general purpose mucking about. No real heavy duty requirements and like everyone, space is always in short supply. The import machines are all back ordered, which isn't particularly a concern as there's no timeline on my needs.

Today I'm looking at an Enco 100-5200 from 1985 with Enco XY DRO and 110v 2hp Sargon motor, ask is $1500 obo. Vice but no tooling. The size gives me some pause as does what I can only presume is less tooling, repair and modification support than for the ubiquitious import mills. I have a ubiquitious import mini lathe and love that I can get quite decent import tooling and parts to my doorstep tommorrow for very fair prices (or nicer tooling when I'm flush).

Any thoughts on the machine or price would help thanks.

Attachments

• mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 98
I think that Enco would be a huge step up from it's next nearest neighbor at that price point (Rong Fu). Enco is an import, some models are less ubiquitous than others. I wouldn't worry about that, making replacement parts and repairs is all part of the fun. Mid-80s Taiwan consumer grade iron is good stuff by today's entry level standards. I think that's a good deal for a 2hp baby knee mill.

Has anyone researched CNC conversions? My first thought was that this would be a major effort but now that I realize more or less the same thing is still in production I wonder if there are kits that would fit?

That is one attraction to the new bench mills

Has anyone researched CNC conversions? My first thought was that this would be a major effort but now that I realize more or less the same thing is still in production I wonder if there are kits that would fit?

That is one attraction to the new bench mills
I would consider the square column mills much better candidates for CNC conversion than a knee mill. For a knee mill you generally use the quill as your z axis, that limits your travel and eliminating backlash is a problem too.

I like mine a great deal (Grizzly 6x26 version). Couple of times I wished I had a bigger mill, but not when I have to squeeze between it and the car :) The guy I bought it from was planning on CNC'ing it, never did and bought a Tormach instead. I wouldn't buy it if you're thinking of going that route -a G704 or PM equivalent would be a much better bet. Or just get both :D

There is a section here.

Any sense what the Enco branded vice is worth? Big deal or not beal?

IMG_7798.jpg

Back