Info on Sears Roebuck 101.27440 or 101.07403 + QCGB lathe

>>>Move the lever located toward the upper left end of the headstock either up or down. That lever is called the Tumbler. To get it to move, first pull out on the knurled sleeve and then lift or lower the sleeve. Start the motor and the lead screw should start turning. <<<
We tried messing with that Tumbler (Up and Down), but the lead screw never moved.... that was the frustrating part....

Last edited:
OK. When properly set up, all Atlas and Atlas-Craftsman lathes that are fitted with a QCGB have a 16T/32T Compound Gear set up on the left end of the headstock and a 40T and two 48T change gears installed on the Change Gear Bracket (AKA Quadrant AKA Banjo). Some of those either weren't present or were incorrectly installed or the Banjo wasn't in the correct lifted position.

I take it that you didn't notice the model or serial number.

OK. When properly set up, all Atlas and Atlas-Craftsman lathes that are fitted with a QCGB have a 16T/32T Compound Gear set up on the left end of the headstock and a 40T and two 48T change gears installed on the Change Gear Bracket (AKA Quadrant AKA Banjo). Some of those either weren't present or were incorrectly installed or the Banjo wasn't in the correct lifted position.

I take it that you didn't notice the model or serial number.

>>>I take it that you didn't notice the model or serial number.<<<

Sorry, I didn't get the serial number.... It was too cluttered to get to it anyway... ;)

OK.

However, for future reference, the serial number would have been either stamped into the top right end of the front way or on a nameplate on the right end of the bed. The only thing that might have been on a nameplate on the rear of the bed and probably inaccessible would have been the model number and only if the basic lathe had been an early 101.07403. Which with the front view photo would have ID'd the model number anyway.

Back