Info on Sheldon Vernon horizontal mills

You could convert that motor to run on single phase power but you would have to add a large and expensive capacitor- probably not an attractive option
The original generators at Niagara falls were 2 phase, parts of Pennsylvania and Connecticut still have it
m

Yep, I’m pretty excited about this one. Here’s another pic of the upper section sitting on the trailer.
View attachment 70826

The vise looks like it was used for some special purpose setup – it has some spring pins and a screw set into one of the jaw plates. In the pic it looks rusty, but in person it appears to be dried oil/grease. Still have to clear away the junk, but it appears to move OK. I only have one other small vise of this style, for a small drill press, so it sure beats nothing.
View attachment 70827

Right now I don’t even know what arbor diameter it is. The nut on the end of the arbor is jammed on tight, so I’m just going to soak it a while. I don’t have any spare spacers, so I’ll be looking for those. It definitely needs a new drawbar, as this one is the ultra-custom all thread version. No harm smacking that thing with a hammer (nice and soft). I did buy one collet off e-bay (3/4 ID,B&S#11 I believe), so maybe I can get a small drill chuck or one of those double taper collet holders with a straight shank, so I can mount some cutters. I have no experience with mill tooling, so any feedback/guidance as to size and brand will be appreciated.
View attachment 70828

After my “no-bite” initial offer, I did see some old web postings of these units in the $2K range, but I assumed that was closer to “pristine”, with tooling. If they’re really fetching big coin down in Florida, I may have to get new tires for the trailer. It’s funny how some machines get popular with the home shop crowd. I just assumed these Sheldon’s went on the lower end of the spectrum because it’s a horizontal. I did see pics of a few small Sheldon’s with vertical heads on the overarm. Sweet looking setup for a little machine, but I better give the ATM card a rest.

View attachment 70826 View attachment 70827 View attachment 70828
TomKro, what size is the collet in your picture?

Oh boy, this one is going back a ways...

I have to get out to the garage later this afternoon. I believe I was most concerned with the collet that had the nose falling behind the face of the spindle, as I was worried it might get stuck.

The problem with my original test fit, so long ago, was the lack of a proper size bar inside the collet. The pics probably mean nothing without the collet actually gripping the diameter it was built to hold. I only have 4 or 5 collets, so should be easy to re-check.

TomKro

I had to dig a little, I'm in the process of moving.

My Sheldon uses B&S No. 9 collets. Way back when, I was concerned about a few replacement collets that appeared to sit behind the face of the spindle nose. I was concerned this might add to the possibility of the collets getting stuck.

I rechecked by gripping proper size bar (well, almost - the 3/8 bar was a little shy). Anyway, with almost proper bar size, all the replacement collets sat a little behind the face of the spindle using "medium" tension on the draw bar (small wrench, tight, but not cranked hard).

Checking my one and only Hardinge collet gripping a 3/4 arbor, the collet nose sat proud of the spindle by less than about 3/8 inch, using similar drawbar pressure. That collet was listed as a "9B" and I am not aware of what the B implies.

Here's a couple pics:

Three_Eighths_HHiP_resize22.jpg

Three_Quarter_Hardinge_rsize22.jpg

I hope this answers your question.
Maybe some of the more experienced members can chime in as to proper collet fit and what's considered proper drawbar tension.

TomKro

Back