Info on Sheldon Vernon horizontal mills

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm planning to look over a Sheldon Vernon horizontal mill this weekend. The small footprint appears pretty well matched to my basement work area. No special need or job intended for this machine, but it sure looks useful.

If there's anyone with experience with this machine, can you please advise on any particular areas that I should be watching out/checking over before purchasing. I'm presently aware of the small table and the odd collet size. Machine appears to have a decent vise, a few cutters and the overarm support, but no vertical milling attachment. Not yet sure of condition.

Any feedback is appreciated.

TomKro

I have the Model O and I really like it. Other than spindle bearings and back gear engagement, the belt drive and rest are pretty straight forward. The taper tooling can be found, (tools for cheap) but I have never changed mine out. I use it just as it came with the 1" arbor. The Yahoo Sheldon site has a world of help and info just for the asking.

bedwards

bedwards:

I'm also considering the "0" model, but an earlier version. The earlier version only has a single T-slot table. The later table looks like a big improvement.

By the way - when hunting for info yesterday, I saw the VFD setup you posted a while back. Very nice installation. Has the drive unit held up to your expectations?

The unit I'm planning to see appears a bit pricey, but listed in "good" condition - always very subjective - but it should be interesting to check it out.

Also, I didn't realize there was a Yahoo group for that machine. I still have to check that out.

Thanks,
TomKro

Thanks,
Tackling the VFD install was intimidating with no more experience than I have. I hope the pictures help someone. The Teco drive has done well. It was a real pain to set up at first, but it has not been a minutes trouble since. Also it gives you variable speed if you don't have it already. The O has a mechanical variable speed, but it is much easier to use the VFD. The singe T slot on the earlier Vernon would limit where you can mount your work, but so far I have always used the center slot on mine, so it would have made no difference really. You didn't mention what size arbor it had, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding cutters. Get us some pics, love pics.

good luck,
bedwards

Not sure if I have this link properly placed, but the item is posted on the Philly PA Craigslist, in case the link doesn't work.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4313654251.html

I have no idea if it's really worth $750. Also, I'm not really clear on the condition. One of the images has what appears to be a lot of gunk around the motor - not sure what's up with that. I plan to take a road trip on Saturday to check it out.

It looks a 1hp single phase machine with powered table and variable speed drive. The area where the drive and motor reside is in the bottom of the cabinet and it catches dirt, oil, grease and is really messy. You shouldn't need a VFD. Its in about the same shape mine was in when I bought it. I have never cleaned mine up. I just replaced belts, adjusted the bearings, got the arbor unstuck, put a vfd on it and used it. They were asking 750 for mine and I gave 250. Having said that, I paid a lot more for some of the other machines I have bought so its up to you what it is worth. You can replace the belts with a segmented belt without removing the spindle (which is a really big job.) I probably weighs close to 12-1300 lbs. I like the vise, mine is not that good. It should do all a hobbyist needs. If it runs good and quiet, make him an offer! Worst he can say is no. =]

bedwards

bedwards:

I only get to dream of deals like yours. Every once in a while I see some real good deals in the Philly and South Jersey area Craigslist, but one has to move fast. Usually I can't make it up that way until the weekends, and by then the items are gone. Strange that there isn't more home shop equipment floating around Baltimore, which is closer.

Thanks for the clarification on the gunk inside the cabinet. I asked the owner of this machine to fill me on what's under the vise, and to pull the arbor so I can see the taper area in the spindle when I get there tomorrow. The edge of the table has some cuts, and I'm told there are a couple small voids in the taper area. I have not seen it yet, so I'm guessing it's the result of some rust or pitting (?). It has me concerned. It should be an interesting morning.

TomKro

Those little Sheldon's are really nice machines.

It was my opinion that the condition of this one was more "fair" than "good", but again, just my opinion.

The heavy drive belts for the variable speed control looked like they needed replacing, the table feed gearbox rattled a bit on the higher speeds (maybe just the shaft bushings or the u-joints, but hard to see much of the gears), and the table cross feed appeared to me to have too much play. On the plus side, all the slides looked pretty nice, the table damage was minimal, and the pitting in the taper area of the collet was really very minor.

I wish I had a better idea of what it takes to fix up those Acme nuts on the table cross feed. I imagine a replacement is tough to locate.

I did make an offer, but not enough to get a bite. I asked the seller to give me a call if he can't get any better offers.

That's what I would have done. Make an offer you can live with. He might change his mind ;-)

bedwards

Hopefully, this isn’t a duplicate post. Crashed something….

I made an initial offer, but no bite from the seller. The next day I was cutting flat bar by hand and dreaming of something with a power feed, so I decided to up the offer to $600, and the seller accepted.

Pickup schedule has been hampered by ice and snow on a sloped driveway at the seller’s location. Today was sunny and warm, perfect for a road trip.

The seller was extremely helpful and spent a few hours helping to split the unit for transport. He had a nice engine hoist and dropped the pieces right onto the trailer.

Sheldon Base.png Sheldon Upper.png

“Sheldon” will have to sit in the driveway until the backyard firms up. Everyone’s been complaining about the cold, but now I need some cold weather (without snow) to get the trailer around back without leaving trenches in the yard.

No real plans for “Sheldon” except new belts and to see what can be done to tighten up the cross feed.

Sheldon Base.png Sheldon Upper.png

Back