Info on this lathe

It’s been for sale a least six weeks and I have to wonder why.
The dealer carries a real range of equipment from small shop stuff to industrial production level.
I’m going to call them and ask about it.
Going to see it is a $200 commitment due to travel costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I think there are better choices in a 10" lathe unless you have a particular interest in the long bed. Most 10" lathes have a shorter 22-24"between centers. If you have the room for a long 34" between centers 10" lathe, you can probably also find the space for a far more capable 11 or 12" lathe. These lathes also have a relatively small 5/8" spindle bore vs the 3/4-1" of most other 10", or the 1-3/8 to 1-1/2" of most 11 and 12" lathes.

You have a mini-lathe to work with so you have the luxury of time to find a really good upgrade, not just jumping on the first little bit better lathe that comes along.

Yeah, I hear you @Aaron_W.
I think I’m just musing on dreary winter days.

Judging from the photos, it looks like a good lathe. If you can get the price down or get them to throw in some chucks and tooling it might a very good deal. A South Bend is a very capable lathe and can match or exceed most new Asian machines of similar size.

Judging from the photos, it looks like a good lathe. If you can get the price down or get them to throw in some chucks and tooling it might a very good deal. A South Bend is a very capable lathe and can match or exceed most new Asian machines of similar size.

I am going to call them tomorrow just for interests sake.

Alrighty then.
Talked to the dealer yesterday and there is no additional tooling.
They offered it to me for $900 which is $300 less than they have it listed.

Rats! I forgot to ask if it’s 3 phase.

Just curious. What is the spindle ID on you mini lathe? If I was upgrading to a bigger lathe I would like to have a bigger spindle ID than I currently have.
The seller is obviously willing to deal. Offer them $500. It's not like you are desperate to get a lathe. And with no additional tooling your are going to spend way more than the cost of this lathe on tooling.

Yeah I'd go down on the price, especially with the missing dial on the compound (though its not that big a deal), Offer them $600 and see where it goes...

Back