[Newbie] Information On Used Machines

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
I have found this mill on CL price seems pretty good. Has some tooling and VFD. Can anyone tell me anything about this before I go look at it.

Not sure what the motor in the back does cant find alot of info on it so I thought I would ask you experts. It is about half the size of a BP. has a CAT30 taper.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/millrite/ Down in the page there is info. Looks like the back motor is for variable feed on the quill. Only 'downfall' I would think is though the head tilts left and right, it is fixed front to back. Not really a problem, I just think of full tramming of the head.

I think it's a close match for the Rockwell. Major difference will be the spindle taper. As long as you remember the mantra - "it's not a Bridgeport" - I suspect you'll be very happy with it. It looks like a clean, well maintained machine.

just sold my Millrite not as clean looking, great mill did all I needed replaced with older Bridgeport round ram but J head for $500 just put the Dro on it. put a dro on the Burke and had no intention to sell till I found the Bridgeport for $500. sold it for $1400 mine was 110 volts and did not have the power quill. great mill. for information and great people go to yahoo groups for the burke millrite.

That is a very nice looking Millrite, Bill. As noted, the rear motor is for power down feed. It also has power feed on the X axis. It does not have the optional nodding head. I have owned two Millrites now, my first with nodding head and 8x36" table, my new one has swivel only head and 8x32" table. It also looks like it comes with a tapping head and a modest vise, and some other things I cannot make out in the pics. I found the nodding function to be more hassle than benefit, and it does compromise rigidity to some extent. Unless you are planning on doing a lot of compound angle setups it will be fine. Millrites come with several different spindle tapers. If it is not R8 and that scares you off, talk to me about it first before dismissing the mill. Millrites are sturdy machines and are well built. Make sure everything works as it should before purchasing it. If you need more help, PM me and/or join the Yahoo BurkeMills group.

Oops, didn't notice it has a 30 taper. That is a bonus, especially if tooling comes with it. 30 taper is more rigid and it is much more difficult to damage the spindle if used correctly. The tooling does cost more, though there are deals to be found on Ebay and elsewhere. It is a common taper. How much are they asking for it?

Well just talked to the guy and it sold. I was a day late really only about 4 hours late.
1400 out the door

Don't know about in the rust belt, but here in California that would be a screaming deal...

Mine sold in Calif. in less then a week 2nd caller, they have a lot of demand being a bit smalller and lighter

Think the motor on back was for phase changer, ck wireing and large box on side.

Back