Ingenious Mechanisms

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
Many years ago, in response to a magazine ad or direct mail flyer I ordered a four-volume set of books entitled "Ingenious Mechanisms".

For some reason, when the set arrived I put it on the shelf with the intention of having a look later when I wasn't so busy and time was available.

What a mistake! Weeding the library brought this to the surface once again, this time for a less-cursory evaluation.

This set is worth its weight in platinum! Although the mechanical examples included are not all 'genius inspired' there is such a wealth of 'how can I do this' sorts of things that the whole set turns out to be a real page turner. You probably won't use any of the designs exactly but it is such a though-provoking and 'outside the box' grouping of mechanical whizbangs that after looking it over you'll see new solutions as problems arise.

Cams and ratchets and clutches and speed reducers and overload protectors - fascinating reading (well, let's be honest - just looking at the drawings for the 'aha!').

"Converting Oscillating Circular Motion Into Variable Reciprocating Movement"

"Instant Acting Centrifugal Governor"

"Pressure Governor for Handwheel of Lathe Tailstock"

"Torque Controlled Drive Release for Tapping"

"Gear Mechanism for Cam Timing"

Best thing is, the books are available used for a fraction of their original cost on eBay or wherever you buy used books. A $20 investment in thought provocation for a lifetime. Bargain!

IngeniousMechanisms.png

Thanks!

FYI - your vol. 3 and vol. 4 open up as volume 1. I did a search and downloaded them, but don't know how to post them.
Did up the first link, C&P, and then went back and edited the link's address, didn't take for some odd reason. Perhaps not enough coffee.
All good now.

Back