Inop motor on new PM-30MV

Harley80915

Registered
Registered
My new PM-30MV arrived DOA in December. Safetys work, 220VAC to board, replacement board sent and still not working. All wiring checked ok for broken loose wires, tach lights up showing 0000. Complete schematic including how to measure the voltages off the 8 wires going to the motor are apparently not available. No replacement motor is currently available. Mike at PM has been nice trying to get info from Taiwanese vendor, but no feedback yet and its the Chinese New Year. Any suggestions on determining if the replacement board or the original motor is defective and what voltages to measure for? My first experience with Precision Matthews. Now what?

Do you hear the contactor clicking when you push the green on button?
They do provide a simple diagram, seems like it should work based on what you described
That only leaves the direction switch or the speed pot as culprits- unless the motor is bad
-mark

Last edited:
Do you hear the contactor clicking when you push the green on button?
They do provide a simple diagram, seems like it should work based on what you described
That only leaves the direction switch or the speed pot as culprits- unless the motor is bad
-mark
Thanks Mark!
Yes, the contactor coil clunks in, fuse good, speed pot replaced, emergency stop works, safety shield works, board replaced,
all plugs pushed in board, and direction switch w shows continuity but wires are poorly connected to wire plug. Mike is sending a new switch and factory says it is not possible to have a bad motor. ????? Factory said they did have bad batches of contactors and direction switches. We shall see.

Thanks Mark!
Yes, the contactor coil clunks in, fuse good, speed pot replaced, emergency stop works, safety shield works, board replaced,
all plugs pushed in board, and direction switch w shows continuity but wires are poorly connected to wire plug. Mike is sending a new switch and factory says it is not possible to have a bad motor. ????? Factory said they did have bad batches of contactors and direction switches. We shall see.
Thanks Mark!

Update Jan. 25, 2020
PM sent me another board, Forward/N/Rev switch w/o connector cable, pot w/cable & connector, tach display and motor w/cable & it's connectors. Replaced with 3rd board, no change. Reinstalled 2nd board and plugged in 2nd motor into board, without physically installing motor. The motor now works and adjustable speed in both directions work. Apparently it is possible for factory to send out a faulty motor, and did. Although I can't test the tachometer until the new motor is installed, I swapped out the originally installed tach with the 2nd replacement tach display they sent, just to see if it works. Not only the display did not light up, but new motor wouldn't work now either, so I put the original tach display back in and it lights up and the replacement motor now works again.
So now I have to feed the replacement motor cable through the casting head holes down the column and out the side into the control box. That will be another task to do next weekend.

Seems like the QA really slipped on that one- this is why support after the sale is so important. Good on PM for sending the replacement parts
So to recap:
Original motor was bad
and
Original tach was good, but not 2nd replacement sent
What about the original controller board?

Last edited:
I did not reinstall the first board again due to my concerns about swapping the very tiny cables too much which might break them. In fact, I found several wires going to the plugs that outer sheath is gone showing bare wires which will break sooner. I have asked PM to send me better cables. I find it hard to believe that the factory said they have had no bad motors. Factory QA didn't impress me, and I also will need to readjust the tach sensor which was sloppily mounted with it rubbing against the sensor holed wheel. Not PM at fault. PM was very good about after sales service on parts, with both Mike and Matt. I will send back any parts they want returned, after I get the mill all completed and running.

I did not reinstall the first board again due to my concerns about swapping the very tiny cables too much which might break them. In fact, I found several wires going to the plugs that outer sheath is gone showing bare wires which will break sooner. I have asked PM to send me better cables. I find it hard to believe that the factory said they have had no bad motors. Factory QA didn't impress me, and I also will need to readjust the tach sensor which was sloppily mounted with it rubbing against the sensor holed wheel. Not PM at fault. PM was very good about after sales service on parts, with both Mike and Matt. I will send back any parts they want returned, after I get the mill all completed and running.

Update......a few months late responding but all is good now. Matt (owner) sent replacement motor overnighted which was a few hundred bucks to do. Thank you! Trashed the old motor, they didn't want it back. Out of three boards, one installed, allowed to keep one for extra and sent the third one back. The tach replacement didn't didn't work because there are two very similar tach units in warehouse not compatible with each other and just the wrong one sent. Original tach put in and worked fine.

Amazing amount of detective work there! Still a lot less work than I have expended on my basket case lathe. It's odd. The seller was really intent on showing me that the motor ran and the spindle turned. Now I realize how important that was.

Back