• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Insert question ???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

umahunter

Active User
I'm currently using a shars indexable parting blade that uses gtn2 bits . I'm looking at trying an iscar to see if it'll work with my blade or if I need to get an iscar blade. they use different terms so I wanna make sure I got the right thing. is iscars gfn2 the same as a gtn2 they look right just wanna make sure thanks

mksj

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Yes, they all should be the same. There is a significant difference in the durability and cutting performance between the different brand GTN type inserts. I tried some generic Cobra inserts and they were pretty bad compared to Iscar and Hertel inserts. The GTN-2 blade tends to flex a bit so keep them as short as possible. In mine some inserts did not fully seat in the holder and I needed to file the back of the seat so the insert would lock into the taper. I eventually went to a clamping insert holder for my cutoff blade with much better rigidity and finish.

jdedmon91

I struggled with GTN 2 cut off insert blades. The GTN 3 seems to work better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[6]
[5] [7]