Insert Tool Holders

What does make a difference though is the actual inserts. It can be a little bit hard to tell just by looking at them, but there is a real difference between the $.25-$.75 inserts and the $15-$20 inserts (thats cents and dollars there).

Just to give you an idea of what the differences are, here is a look at an inexpensive import insert under a microscope. This insert was brand spanking new. You can see the cutting edge is already chipped and it is jagged. This one was probably about $1.
yp2w3v7.jpg

This one was a name brand insert that was about $20. Also brand new.
PCHfxLf.jpg

An important thing to consider though is that you might be happy with the cheap insert. It certainly gets the job done, surface finish just suffers a bit and I am betting the cutting edge doesn't last nearly as long.
Looks like you are comparing a molded insert to a grounded (polished) insert. These are very different and so is the price.

A good place to start in my little experience is the BXA set from QMT https://www.precisionmatthews.com/s...ool-set-sized-for-bxa-quick-change-tool-post/ it comes with a good selection of tools and the quality seems decent. The grounded inserts for aluminium will also give a great surface with lighter cuts even on the harder to machine HR steel, CR 1018 etc.

Ariel

The Dorian BXA size tool holders will take >3/4" shank tools, but do so by lowering the bottom ledge that registers the tool in the holder. To run 5/8" or 1/2" shank tools in the Dorian holders, you have to put a spacer under the tool. The Aloris BXA tool holders will take 1/2" and 5/8" shanks (maximum). In contrast, the BXA holders Matt at QMT sells, as well as the BXA size tool holders from All Industrial Tool supply ($15 each) or CDCO ($12) will also take a 3/4" shank tool, but accommodates them with different geometry that doesn't require a spacer under 1/2" and 5/8" shank tools. Here is a visual comparison of the three:

bxa-tool-holder-comparison-jpg.140499

I don't seen enough difference in the brand name (Aloris or Dorian) versions to warrant the additional cost for the conventional square shank tool holder. At worst you replace the socket head screws with better quality versions.

Putting a riser-block under the Dorian tool post is increasing the chance for the tool holder to pivot under load IMO - especially with a 3/4" tool, or heavy knurling and parting-off.

Thank You everyone for your valuable insight and recommendations. It's much appreciated. Steve

Looks like you are comparing a molded insert to a grounded (polished) insert. These are very different and so is the price.
Both are supposedly polished inserts for aluminum.

The grounded inserts for aluminium will also give a great surface with lighter cuts even on the harder to machine HR steel, CR 1018 etc.
I actually have some of those and the inserts look good under the microscope.

Aluminum ones:
lbZzz2M.jpg

Steel ones:
R7wUOi1.jpg

I'm going to take some of the advice above one step further. I have fully tooled my lathe from eBay and Aliexpress.

Check--so did I, and also my mill

I'm talking turning, boring, external threading and internal threading. I shop price, and have consistently bought the cheapest most economical tools I could find. NONE of it has been crap, they have all been good quality tools in every respect. The same goes for the inserts. For the price of one or two name brand tools you can have everything you could imagine you might need. Start with a set like this (16mm/5/8 shanks) just to get your feet wet. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957073997.html?

Note when you buy a set of tool holders, buy at least one box of tips for each holder. {You will thank me later...}

I've got PM originally came with the lathe and mostly Shars tool holders for the rest. BAX on a 1440 lathe. All work well. I have some import inserts but no Kennametal or = so can't compare. I chipped a couple for the cheap inserts on interupted cuts, my fault. I've also reground them when dull using my Shars tool grinder. They seem to work fine. I got a couple of cheap deals on big tools that required 3/4" tool holders and have used them on the BAX that are sold with 3/4" slots. So far OK.

Side note. I recently took apart the tool post that came on the lathe. It was nicely made inside, had a couple of minor burs and considerable greasy gunk (& chips) from using cutting oil.

I highly reccomend getting the BXA holder that takes inserts directly; I use it all the time!!! It gets the cutting load as close as possible to the toolpost. They are available pretty cheaply.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I forgot I had this, but this is the 1/2" glanze holders I posted earlier with using these Sandvik finishing inserts.

The steel is 1144 stressproof, and each pass is 0.100" of the radius or 0.200" of the diameter. The lathe is my little HF 8x14.

Back