Insert tool seat?

slowneasy

Registered
Registered
On insert tool holders, in this case, Carbide, in a lot of holders there is a carbide insert seat. What is the purpose of them? Obviously the carbide insert sits on it but why? Boring bars don't appear to have this insert seat. Just curious is all....

They are a consumable. The seat gets damaged and can be replaced. Many boring bars don't have enough room for a seat. I've seen a "machinist" who failed to notice when the insert failed and continued to cut with the seat. Size was off and the finish suffered significantly.

That "insert seat" is called an anvil. It sets the angle of the insert and it can be changed to alter that angle. It also can be cheaply replaced in a crash rather than have to change the entire tool holder.

I have not yet seen an anvil that was tapered to set cutting angle, only flat, parallel anvils, some of different thickness to accomodate different insert thicknesses.

Common, but hard to find.

I forget where I found a reverse angle for for my 16ER/16EL toolholders to allow me to thread away from the chuck, but they are available.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies, definitely learned some things. I didn't know you could get different angled ones, kinda cool but I'm not there yet to figure that stuff out. Good to know about using different thickness depending on insert thickness. Makes sense that boring bars don't use an insert seat because of thickness or height but that could also be said that they AREN'T needed or other than to change angle, makes me wonder why most tool holders use them. Hmmm...
So the part the insert seat sets on is called the anvil? Or the insert seat itself is called the anvil?

The part that the inserts sits on is the anvil and the anvil sits in the tool holder. They are common in larger industrial tool holders but not common in smaller ones commonly used by hobby guys.

Back