Inserts.....

dodoknives225

Registered
Registered
hey guys so i have used a 2in indexable end mill with tpu inserts but i had someone who was doing the same thing i was telling what i needed to buy....so anyway i am looking for a indexable endmill to basicly face mill carbon steel so i found one that takes TPU, TPG and TPMR some told me to go with the TPG then i look and there are all sorts of different TPG inserts.....i have no clue about any of this can someone help explain the differences in these inserts?

Search for: "Carbide insert designation chart" and you will find out all you want to know.

Thanks i am putting up a new post (have another issue :-( then i will search thanks!

Ray C posted good info on inserts March 25th. Read it.

Hey guys as i said in my other post i got pulled away from the shop to deal with family issues but i am back now just want to thank everyone. i am going to go take a good look at all the things you guys suggested...i will say i did take a quick look at a couple things and honestly it got me even more confused LOL but today i will have some time maybe a better look will clear up the confusion....i know another knifemaker that uses a cutter that uses TPG inserts so i am going to ask him what he uses when he mills steel.....however he does not work with titanium....i do so i assume since the properties of steel and titanium are so different i will have to get 2 different kinds of inserts....if anyone has a specific recamendation for type of TPG insert that i could use on titanium i am all ears OR even if its not a TPG if you guys think a cutter that takes different inserts that would be good on titanium again all ears i would appreciate it guys! but again either way thanks for all the info!!

TPG is the shape of the cutter. You need to select the appropriate material of the cutter for Titanium.

From the Carbide Depot site, an example link of the Kyocera inserts. Scroll down to the High Temperature/Titanium section. This will show the material code of a Kyocera insert.

Kyocera material guide

Then go back to the Carbide Depot page for e.g., TPG(N) and find the relevant Kyocera insert which matches the material code.

TPG(N) inserts at Carbide Depot

Just using Kyocera as example. Each manufacturer will have a guide of its inserts for various materials.

Back