Inserts

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I chipped the insert on my boring bar a while back so I decided I better order replacements. Since I wasn't in a hurry I figured what the heck I'll order through Aliexpress and see how cheap I can get them.

Well, $14 and a little more than a month later these showed up.

inse5.jpeg

inse.jpeg

If they're counterfeit someone went to an awful lot of trouble to fake the packaging.

Will let you know how they work but I expect them to be better than the ones that came with my tooling.

John

I use the smaller version of those CCGT inserts almost exclusively and they work wonderfully for turning and boring. Not very tolerant of stalls/ jams and won't last long under heavy cuts in steel, but fabulous for pretty much everything else. Only downside is that they generate long spirals instead of small chips, so "spiral" control when turning a long aluminium piece can sometimes be challenging. Does make it easier to clean up the floor though :)

I personally believe they are knock offs. I have those as well and in other shapes & sizes. The seller I purchase from does not advertise them as Korloy but rather some generic brand. But they work well & they're dirt cheap. I can't tell the difference compared to real name brand but I'm just a hobbyist. I've already got a good supply of them but when I run out I'd buy more if they are still around.

funnily enough, whether or not they're knockoffs, I do think that they're better than other generic CCGTs that I've bought. Got a pack from Banggood for similar money and they didn't keep their edge nearly as long as the "Korloy" ones.

I did get some genuine Kyocera CCMTs off Amazon for $12 a pack next day delivery once, though I don't use those anywhere near as much as my small lathe doesn't work as well with molded inserts.

Back