Installed an Enco x axis table feed on the B'port

Monk

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got the Power table feed installed:
First, I removed the crank handle, graduation dial, and bearing bracket from the table, and replaced the bracket with the one supplied in the kit.

IMG_0339.JPGIMG_0341.JPG

ThenI fit the new drive gear into the graduation dial and began experimenting with the shims supplied until I got everything spaced and operating smoothly (with the ENCO drive this is all trial and error, since the instructions are non-existent. It wasn't all that hard, just time consuming. Scratched my head a bit when the hand crank extended all the way to the end of the table screw. Then I noticed the sleeved nut (fits inside the crank and around the threaded end of the table screw). Everything tightened up and works just fine.

IMG_0344.JPGIMG_0345.JPG

Best part is, I was using the 15% off and free shipping promotion code when I noticed that the unit was marked down from $399 to $299 to start with.It cost me $250 and change delivered. I'm a happy camper!

IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

That is one up-grade that is well werth the cost. You'll not be sorry you did it. It turned out very nice.

:thankyou: for the post, well documented.

Thanks for the post Monk. I just received the exact same power feed from Enco. Hopefully my install will
go as smoothly as yours. Ya gotta love their sales!

To go with the power feed, I bought a new Acer 3VS E-Mill and it's on it's way to the barge for the trip to
Alaska. I can't wait to get it setup and install the new power feed.

How much travel did you lose in the X direction with the power feed? Do you like it so far?

Below is a pic of the new mill.

Acer 3VS E-Mill Picture.jpg

Bob

Acer 3VS E-Mill Picture.jpg

Thanks, Bob. That looks like a very cool addition you have to accessorize your table feed :thumbsup:. I don't think I lost anything in travel. the table will still run right up to the bearing bracket, and the unit recesses inside it... I'll take another look and let you know if it's anything significant. I think you lose about 1/2" off the very end of the screw, (that's why you have to use the recessed nut), but I think the travel is about the same.

With out verifying, I agree with Monk. Adding the power does not remove any travel. It is one of the best up-grades you can make to a mill.

Frostheave, be sure and post pics of the real machine when it arrives.

Thanks for the reply Monk. I have never had a knee mill before so this will be a new experience. Most of the specs I looked at on the net showed a reduced X travel on mills with a power feed installed. I got the impression it was a universal truth that power feed reduced travel. I am glad to hear that is not true.

Yes Randy, I will take and post many pictures! One of the most frustrating things while doing my mill search was the lack of good pictures on the net. Hopefully I can increase the availability, at least for this mill.

Bob

Bob: I finally got out to the garage and checked. If you are looking at the stopping point being the point at which the table end aligns with the bed edge on either side, the table moves 9 inches either direction for a total of 18 inches of travel. On my 9x36 that's supposed to be correct and has not changed with the addition of the power feed. Hope this helps! Now I'm trying to figure how I want to mount the DRO scales. I'll post when I do.

Dave

Bob: I finally got out to the garage and checked. If you are looking at the stopping point being the point at which the table end aligns with the bed edge on either side, the table moves 9 inches either direction for a total of 18 inches of travel. On my 9x36 that's supposed to be correct and has not changed with the addition of the power feed. Hope this helps! Now I'm trying to figure how I want to mount the DRO scales. I'll post when I do.

Dave

That's great Dave. Thanks for checking. I too will be installing a DRO and look forward to seeing your progress. Are you installing a 2, 3, or 4 axis? If 3 axis, will the scale go on the quill or the knee?

I am debating between a 3 axis and a 4 axis. It sure seems that having a scale on the knee and one on the quill would be just too versatile to go without. I spent a ton of money, for me, on this mill and am trying to do it right this time! Below is the 4 axis DRO I am considering from Dro Pros.

DROPROS 4 Axis Mill.jpg

DROPROS 4 Axis Mill.jpg

Bob: Amazing! I was on their site looking for mounting ideas whenyou posted. I went with a 3 axis Shars unit mostly because P'm doing this on the cheap (I spent my wad on the mill). Also, I put one of their 2 axis units on my Grizzly G1007's a while back http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21684 with no problems. The 3 axis for the Bport has a knee scale. Not sure how well this will work for me as I was used to using a quill mounted vernier caliper scale on the Grizzly for the fine feed, and got really used to it. I was concerned with the fitment of a glass scale to the quill, but now I wish I had. From everything I've heard the folks at DRO Pro offer great after sale help, so I think you are definitely going the right way. I have heard of guys getting a splitter and toggling back and forth between the knee and quill on the 3 axis read out, but don't know if it's possible or not. I may try that in the future. Others say forget about it.They just zero, and do the fine adjustmentswith the knee, which (to this novice at least) seems kinda clunky. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Hi Monk. I know what you mean about running out of cash! The mill was $7,575, which really was a pretty good price, then add $375 for a crate, plus $1,608 for shipping to Alaska. This is not a cheap hobby! That is why it is so tough to pull the trigger on a $1,500 DRO.

Yeah, I imagine it will be different getting used to using the knee instead of the quill. I have read a little about the splitter box and I do have an electronics engineering degree. Maybe I'll try to build one!

You made some extremely nice scale brackets on your Grizzly mill install! I'm sure the knee mill will turn out great. Keep at it!

Back