Installed DRO vs DIY DRO

I'm in for the install, should be a fun project and saving the bucks is a huge bonus. Searching around and stumbled upon the Bluetooth scale set-up on the LMS site and sparked my interest. Anyone using this set-up?

Also consider touch dro, grab a cheap android tablet and mount it on your mill. You will end up with a solution that gives you features normally found in very high end DROs (like nearly unlimited point memory, visualisation, tool library and much more). You also get a DRO with regular software updates that get done at the touch of a button.
I also find having a full blown tablet right there on my mill a big advantage. Need a unit converter? Download an app. How about a machining calculator? Tick! Even music or streaming radio if that's what you want. Not to mention double checking that instructional YouTube video without needing to walk from the shop to the house.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Hey guys, first post, longtime lurker, with an observation.

Just received my PM30MV 3 weeks ago. As far as spindle speeds go mine tops out at 3012 rpm, not 2250 as stated in PM's specs. Don't know if this is an anomaly or if they all are the higher top speed, the label on the machine does read 3000 max in high range. I went with the 30 over the 727; its belt drive, larger table, and a little more weight suited me better and I already had 220 wired in for my PM1236.

In terms of DRO install I took a chance and ordered a Chinese one on ali...took about 10 days to arrive from Hong Kong but was fully intact and tested out fine on the bench. It came with 3 generic brackets that I will need to augment. Hope to begin the install shortly...the warden is demanding much of my time be devoted to her list of requirements...the nerve of some people.

I would like to add that this site has been of immeasurable help to this relatively newbie hobby machinist. Profound thanks and kudos to the many members here for providing much insight to all, and helping me spend my money.

Thanks again,

Kurt

If you stick with the Precision Matthews product, the qulil comes with a DRO, I opted on my PM25 for X and Y already installed. Saved some bucks. The Z DRO works on the head, but becasue of loosening and tightening the head, that DRO can't be used for machining.

19E60 (Kurt); do you have a link of the set-up you bought? I've been back and forth on the -25 or the -30. I'm a true hobby guy on machining and only run a mill a few times, so that and the fact I probably wont use it as much as I think makes me wonder if the extra $500 is worth it for the bigger machine...on the other hand after using my little 7x10 lathe I have learned that bigger would be better (except when you move)

atunguyd; those are the details that caught my eye about the touchDRO, all of the convince of different apps right there on the unit and access the ole interwebs. This tablet can be the shop computer and keep the nice stuff out of the shop. I'm not seeing many down sides to this set-up...

Wileel I am loving touchDRO as o product. I can't think of any real machining dro that I have Sen that is so configurable. Start of with just two axis and display just two. Add another two and you don't need to get a whole new display unit. It also has RPM now so it will give you your true sfm and feed rate.
Font too small? Just tell the app to increase it, or if change it or its color.
It is honestly better than any "real" dro on the the market. And since it can work with any scales it is just as accurate as all off the real ones too.

wileel, this DRO is the one I bought. Splurged for the 3 axis, at this price I figured why not...https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fre.../1524501216.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ZZxSZl .

I was debating between the 25 and the 30, was much in the same situation as you. Started with a HF 7x12 mini lathe last fall, decided I was going to really get into machining and started looking at lathes in the 10 and 11 inch range, decided to go bigger with the 12x36 and haven't regretted it for a second. The 25 is a great machine but again I figured bigger would be better for my needs. A knee mill and larger lathe are what I really want now but we are likely going to relocate to AZ in a year or two. I probably will sell the machines here and upgrade after the move.

Also consider touch dro, grab a cheap android tablet and mount it on your mill. You will end up with a solution that gives you features normally found in very high end DROs (like nearly unlimited point memory, visualisation, tool library and much more). You also get a DRO with regular software updates that get done at the touch of a button.
I also find having a full blown tablet right there on my mill a big advantage. Need a unit converter? Download an app. How about a machining calculator? Tick! Even music or streaming radio if that's what you want. Not to mention double checking that instructional YouTube video without needing to walk from the shop to the house.

hi I live in Durban and I am interested In touchdro I would love to ask you about your set up regards ted smith

Back