Installed Fusion360 -Reliability Question

It's not a problem,
Ted

https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf...8.707...0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.E4oGUGSVMdw

It isn't a problem if it doesn't stuff you for working when you want to but it has stuffed many people and businesses when they needed to work.
As have updates which change how the software behaves and as it's Cloud Based you cannot opt to only use the last stable version.

Keep using it sheeple, it's all part of Autodesk's plan to eliminate the viable Open Source opponents for as long as possible before channelling you into a paid programme which you will be unable to refuse if you want to work :D

https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf...8.707...0i22i30k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.E4oGUGSVMdw

It isn't a problem if it doesn't stuff you for working when you want to but it has stuffed many people and businesses when they needed to work.
As have updates which change how the software behaves and as it's Cloud Based you cannot opt to only use the last stable version.

Keep using it sheeple, it's all part of Autodesk's plan to eliminate the viable Open Source opponents for as long as possible before channelling you into a paid programme which you will be unable to refuse if you want to work :D

LOL: Your point is valid and I highly doubt the CIA and MI6 combined could concoct a better extortion plan than this (and I'm almost not joking). I thought long and hard about making a change. I'm still investigating and am only 2 days into it. Here's some preliminary thinking and I totally welcome other's thoughts on this.

I think the folks at AutoDesk are geniuses for coming-up with this. If they become evil let's hope truth, justice, and other open-source platforms come to save the day; the same way Google Chrome, Firefox etc keeps Microsoft Explorer/Edge at bay and the same way Linux pulled the plug on AT&T Sys V. If they start charging more fees... Honestly, I don't mind paying someone a fair price for their efforts.

To some extent, everyone who uses CAD/CAM of any sort is held hostage. For my own personal use and my part-time business, I've already sunk a small fortune into Alibre and BobCad -and there's no way out really.

If the "Internet Crashes" (loosely speaking) we'll be screwed -inclusive of Fusion360 and other things -like our financial system -and worse yet, the Hobby-Machinist website.

If someone hacks the Fusion360 data stores... that would be bad but, I can absolutely guarantee that every piece of my personal information was already stolen from me when government servers were hacked in 2013. In many places in other parts of the world, there is no expectation of privacy in the first place.

As far as "big brother" looking at my Fusion360 models... I can all but absolutely, 100%, no-doubt-about-it, predict that a whole bunch of "men in black" are A) embedded in their operations and B) have offsite intel groups scouring the information looking for keywords -and more importantly, looking to see what kinds of information is being exchanged between targeted areas of interest. The CEO, CFO and BoD of ADSK will never admit they know this is happening.

If my local network goes down... From my investigation (reading, not personal experience) the desktop application will survive and be able to work on the files locally. The web-based, "collaboration" aspects will certainly suffer. In this regard, I should be good. There's only three people working on my projects: Me, Myself and I. I did however try the web aspect with my shop computer and that worked-out nicely.

We'll see... I'm leery too because I can see the obvious risks as well as the not-so-obvious ones too.

Ray

I'm still using BobCAD-CAM V25 as it still does everything I need in up to 4 axes, it just works, for a one-off payment provided I have mains power I can do what I need to do and I can swap back and forth between the versions I have if something works best in one and not another.

There's no Conspiracy Theory here, just facts, Autodesk are vacuuming up any free products they can buy the rights to (netfabb anyone) and withdrawing them from free distribution and/or rendering them less useful (netfabb again!)
My statement about monetisation isn't my speculation, it's based on the opinions of industry pundits who believe Autodesk are playing a Long Game and that it's name is Shareholder Profit. :D

I don't do "Rental" when it comes to software, Millennials are being taught to expect to pay Monthly for almost everything and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it, if they can swallow that good luck to them, I expect to buy something and own it or buy a license to use something and get to use it.

If I was making six or seven figures no doubt my outlook might change ;-)

After checking-out Ted's recommended YouTube instructor, I followed along and was able to make this. Being already familiar with Alibre really helped. I was able to make other simple things w/o too much fuss at all.

Conduit Box.JPG
Conduit Side.JPG

Ray

Nice job! If you subscribe to his channel he typically comes out with a few new ones every week. He also has a Facebook page and has additional videos there as well.

have fun,
Ted

Just in case anyone is interested, I saved the project shown above, quit Fusion360 and disconnected the network connection. Upon restarting the program, it took a couple minutes for it to realize the network was disconnected and then, it displayed all the projects in a faded grey font. The project could be opened and modified after acknowledging you were about to work on an archived version. Following that, I enabled the network connection and Fusion 360 eventually re-connected. In all honesty, I didn't feel like trying to merge the changes but, I suspect there's a way to do it.
... So that's pretty cool.

Ray

The good news and bad news is that it's been raining all weekend and I've been inside learning about Fusion 360. I'm just about burned-out learning new stuff.

So... Fusion is multi-faceted to say the least. Most CAD programs have about 2 or 3 different ways of accomplishing some particular task; Fusion gives you about 20 or 30 different ways. Which can be either a blessing or curse.

I decided to expand upon the Z Drive gearbox project that was outlined in this thread https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/power-z-conversion-for-pm45.69552/ and looked something like this.
IMG_20180513_083502.jpg

A design improvement is to add an intermediate gear that allows either motor-drive or hand-operated-drive. With this arrangement, by sliding the center gear left, the motor drives the top gear. By sliding to the right, a handle (not shown) can manually drive the top gear for precise elevation. Not planning to implement this... Just getting practice with Fusion and this is an incomplete, conceptual drawing.

In the real CAD drawing, any gear can be rotated with the mouse and the other gears move accordingly. They are properly meshed too. That's pretty cool and it wasn't terribly difficult to do. The hard part, is re-tooling my brain to adapt to the paradigm differences in the program. I'm getting closer. I have no doubt the tool has all the right constructs to do what I want, the way I want to do it. My feeble brain just can't remember all the things I've read... There's a lot to read... And it will take a lot of practice to develop my own particular style.

Gearbox.JPG

It's been 3 days since I installed Fusion. Time to sign-out of Fusion 360 for a little while before I end-up like a character in the Twilight Zone.

Ray

2.5 hours ago, I said I was going to sign-out of F360... This time, I'm really going to do it.

Back