Installed X-Axis Power Feed - Does it sound right?

jheinen

Registered
Registered
I installed the X-Axis power feed on my PM-25. Having never done anything like that before, I'm unsure if I have it installed correctly. Here's a short video where you can hear it traversing slowly and quickly. Does it sound right?

Thanks.

When I try to open the link you provided I get this: "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I have no idea what that's about since I'm a regular member and logged in. What I can do is show you a short video of what a properly adjusted Align feeder should sound like - this is on my PM935: You're looking for a pinion gear adjustment that doesn't grind or skip, but is engaged enough to turn the mating gear in the feeder motor assembly. You can hear that in this video.

OK, then I think mine is good. It's louder, but it sounds similar.

Mine seemed noisy at first, but settled down pretty quick. I'm really happy with it now. It is identical to yours, except I hung it on a RF-30.

Straight cut gears...it's odd though, you can adjust angle and how tight they mesh, but I don't really get a different result in noise. If it makes you feel better, mine is louder, but it was risen hard and put away wet by last owner...

maybe you have too many spacers in. I just put the same power feed on mine and had to play around with the spaces until it sounded right.

I was going to post it, but my USED PM727 power feed was really noisy. I had to disassemble the X table as the X-nut was loose. Of course i cleaned and adjusted everything and it is SO much quieter now. I guess i could post a video, but my situation was so much worse because of the issues. Is it possible your gibs are too tight? I'm sure there will be opinions on this, but since it was apart, i replaced the thrust bearings on the x hand wheel. I then took the old and put them between the power drives lead screw adapter and the end plate on the left side of x lead screw. This helped with backlash without having to have that drive adapter grinding flat up against that lead screw plate. I'm sure you're not interested in that, I'm just pointing out what i came to do...

Heres a clip anyway...
edit-file too big, youtube below...

Last edited:
I have a similar unit. Give this link a read in case it starts to sound different in the future. I'm not fond of the mill table pocket clamp mechanism. It seems to be quite easy for the unit to migrate out of position over time, which means the gears don't engage properly. Which means anything from sounding bad to just plain wearing them prematurely. I also find some occasional light grease maintenance on the gears helps a lot but some units have a nylon gear so I hear.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rf-45-mill-power-feed-mount-improvement.64766/

Back