Installing a Cross feed Lever on a Atlas 10F Lathe

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This was following the article in Projects in Metal, also found in Metalworking Book One The Best of Projects in Metal. The 3 components are the handle. I used a push rod that I had salvaged from an AC compressor. The axle that has .375" throw. and the block that holds these all together and mounts to the apron. I also made a new rotating knob that has the groove that the pin runs in to move it in and out. The knob does not need the manual flange if not desired.

I have since sold the Atlas lathe years ago but came across this photos while going through my pictures and thought that some may be interested in seeing the project. It is a very simple project that can be done without a mill for the block.
Pierre

The-3-Components.jpgBlock.jpgNew-Crossfeed-Knob.jpgCrossfeed-Control-Assy.jpgCrossfeed-control-installed.jpg

Looks like last pic shows disengaged position? Pull up to engage?
Just the solution I've been trying to nut out for some time, not real keen on the original atlas design for the later models.

Yes, lever up engaged. The radius for the pin is .375” while .265” would have done the job per the author. He used the .375” to allow for wear and tolerance. The lever swings through about 75 degrees while the groove in the block is the full 90.

Back