Installing a PM-1228VF-LB eventually

Hi, John.

Thanks for you comments about a basement shop and the crate. I've pretty much decided that getting the lathe to the basement would be a challenge, as you say, and setting up the machine shop there isn't feasible for that and several other reasons. I think my best option is to set it up in part of my garage, provided my wife agrees. At least then it will be conveniently located at home; but that will require quite a bit of planning and preparation prior to getting the lathe.

Bob

Ah setting up in the garage would be your best plan if only for ease of handling. Of coarse with smoke & smell issues, for those that are sensitive to such things, I would think you have a 2nd reason not to go with a basement shop. Have you considered decking a portion of your attic for additional storage of smaller &/or lighter parts? I thought my garage was too full to add a large mill. Took some doing, straightening up, consolidating & even letting a few things go - but we always make room for the things we believe we need. Many may not consider what happens next (after you do get your dream machine up & running). More tools, more toolboxes, more oils, more material in the form of steel, aluminum etc. All these things need a place to conveniently exist near the lathe. Welcome to the site (I'm still a newb on here & in the hobby myself). This forum has many selfless & experienced members that like helping others. I am honored to have met a few & am blown away by their patience! Look forward to seeing you get to where you want to be with a new lathe!

Did you ever get the soft-copy of the PM1228 manual? You can get one here:

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1228vf-lb/

It's not that great, I think this is what comes straight from the factory.
Matt mentioned that PM is working on a new manual, but it is not ready yet. I think Matt
generally rewrites all of the factory manuals. But until that time I also printed out the Grizzly
G0773 manual and refer to sections of it. There are differences between that machine and the PM1228,
but sections of it are helpful.

Also, if you have not bought one yet, take a look at the PM1127-VF-LB lathe. I myself own the PM1228
and I like it a lot, but if the PM1127 came with the D1-4 spindle (like it does now) at the time I bought
my lathe, I probably would have gone with it instead. One of the big selling points on the PM1228 at
the time over the 1127 for me was the D1-4 spindle.

Not that there is anything wrong with the PM1228, but the PM1127 comes with more accessories
(like a 4 jaw chuck & AXA QCTP) for slightly less money and 11" vs 12" doesn't seem like such a big deal.
Buying a QCTP and 4 jaw will probably set you back at least $500 (unless you get a great deal or buy used)
I think the PM1228 comes with a larger motor (2HP DC vs 1HP AC with VFD) though. The power requirements
for the PM1127 is listed at 20A (though that may just be a suggestion of the circuit size and not the actual
draw) while the PM1228 lists 13A.

Back