Installing an educated nut

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm replacing the quill stop nut on my ACER mill (Bridgeport clone) and replacing it with an educated nut.

I usually like to review the process on Youtube before I tear into something I haven't done before, but I'm finding precious little info anywhere on the web on this procedure.

The installation sheet that came with it leaves a lot to be desired.

Can anyone on the forum direct me to some info or video?

When you have the threaded quill bolt apart, instead of threading the nut on, push the button on the educated nut and slide it up.

When you have the threaded quill bolt apart, instead of threading the nut on, push the button on the educated nut and slide it up.

I get that part, but it's not clear to me how the quill bolt is captured. There's some "apparatus" at the top and bottom ends.

I'll just start dismantling it until it becomes clear.

Be careful, there are a couple tricks to doing it. There is a You tube video on it, but the guy is an amateur and he had trouble getting it apart, so there's about 9 videos he made. If you put them all together, you'll get the gist of it, and not do the mistakes he made. Also google a bridgeport manual and you'll see the parts involved. Here's the 1st of many, the rest are linked after the ending.

Thanks 4s. That's what I needed.

Kinda tedious and hard to watch with the hand-held camera jiggling everywhere!

My educated nut happily ensconced now.

Hopefully it will still be accessible after installing my Mitutoyo quill DRO.

Educated nut on ACER.jpg

Ha.
Yea jokes are begging to be made. I’ve known a few educated nuts myself.

Interesting part/design though and glad to meet its acquaintance

Back