Installing an educated nut

The video makes me understand how to make it .The clamp is clever. however I need it for a different application.

How difficult is this to make.Also why is there a thinner diametr on top of the nut. Is it needed.
The thinner diameter extension is to increase length to the nut to help it from binding letting it slide smoothly along the threaded rod. This extended length is made thinner so it will slide inside the stop.
It is a pretty simple and fun project. I made these two a few years ago for my Rockwell and J&L mills. They sure make adjusting the stop a lot easier and you will enjoy them even more since you made them yourself, at least I do.
Jim

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I just bought this educated nut thru Amazon. $39.88 was a few dollars less than the other sources I was able to find:

VERY nice quality ... AND it came with installation instructions!!! The whole process took less than 10 minutes - coulda been less, but I was taking notes (see below):
Educated Nut.jpeg

A couple notes:
Before you start - clean the mill table and place some kind of tray underneath the quill area, in case of falling parts. I'm glad I did!
1. The arrow in the photo points to the wrong area. The screw in question is on the mill casting above where the arrow is pointing. The screw on my mill took a 5/32" Allen wrench. The ball lever was threaded M3, not #5-40 (though a 5-40 screw did work OK). There's a short shaft inside the casting and it may fall out when you remove the ball lever.
2. This took a 7/64" Allen wrench. The lever fell out when I withdrew the screw.
3. Unscrewing the old stop nut the full length of the quill shaft was the most time consuming part of the whole process!
4. Be sure the retaining ring is on the shaft below the 1220 nut! There was no packing tape on mine.
5. Aligning the lower lever took a bit of fiddling. Using a flashlight and looking into the bore was helpful. In case the lever fell out during step 2, note that there's am adjusting screw and nut at one end. The tip of the screw points up and makes contact with the shaft to the left of the quill shaft.

I highly recommend this item!!!!

Last edited:
Back