Interesting Gear Reducer On Drill Press

As promised, here are some more pics of the drill press.

Nice machine!
I am used to seeing old drill presses with an arc of holes drilled into the table showing the lack of forethought (or total ignorance!) of the operators.
It looks like that one had a fixture bolted to the table and may have been dedicated to one operation.

-brino

It did. The previous owner told me it had a very large table bolted to it. He bought it just to get the table which he now has mounted on his jig boring machine. He then put the press in the auction that I bought it from.

I put a short piece of rubber tubing over the tip of the oiler spout. This helps seal around the tip. Always clean the ball oiler port with a brush and q-tip so you don't push dirt into the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had any luck with trying to seal the spout tip to the outer part of the ball oiler. You are trying to open the ball with oil pressure and the spring always wins (for me at least).

Most of the eagle brand pump oilers work well. The stiff shaft ones are the best ,some come with the style end that's shown. Ck online they still make them , not the 66 or the older side trigger models . But the top pump ones produce good pressure .

Another option for a pump oiler is the Reilang (expensive, German, available on e-bay.com). I've been dreaming of them for years. I have three machines that use those flat button oilers. I have various means of getting oil into them - it works, but is messy. The Reilang push oilers are very well reputed.

The best one is probably the Eagle No.66. They are all brass. There are usually half a dozen or so available on eBay at any given time. Search for Eagle 66 Oil Can. Typical prices are $20 to $45. I would probably avoid the $20 ones. The 66 is of the style least prone to leakage. Both the spout and the pump actuator stick out the side. The top is thus just a top and less prone to leakage. Also doesn't drip oil all over the bench when you open it to refill. They came with either a rigid or a flexible spout. If you are just buying one, go for the rigid one. You can use it in a ball oiler with one hand. The flex spout one would require two. They work fine with the spout point straight down. You just need to keep the can more than half full. It is the only can I ever found that would reliably put oil into an Atlas Commercial back gear bearing.

OK. The reason that I was specific as to Eagle 66 is that AFAIK, all came with the special tip on the spout for oiling through the ball oilers. there may be others that do or did but I've not seen them.

Thanks for the link to the PDF on the gear pulley. Very interesting. I had not seen this before reading the thread.

What a lovely unit Pull Gear supplied, & simple for someone to retrofit onto an existing machine to really increase its usefulness, and even when manufactured not a kings ransome for what one would get, It is basically an idea which goes back a long time , That manufacturer of very fine drilling machines The W.F. & John Barnes Co of Rockford Illinois supplied powerful drilling machines with a similar pattern of back gear for many years from the early 1900/s , very elegant machine tools . T.J. You got an extremely good purchase. ChrisW really nice data you have contributed to the thread, These old industrial leaflets were nicely produced , great artwork I think better than todays souleless computer generated information sheets.

Back