Interesting site with how to projects with drawings

H-M experienced a site wide outage on January 23. To the best of our knowledge, the site has been restored up to January 1, 2020. Common problems are going to be missing posts, reverted membership levels and other time related problems that will potentially have been lost between January 1-23.

Please click on this notice to be taken to the Site Support Forum so you can learn more about what happened, what is being done and post a support request so we can help you get your issue resolved.

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter
this is from Harold Hall of the uk he was the editor for model engineers workshop magazine he retired and this is his personal website with a lot of shop made tool plans and how to projects
check out the whole site it's pretty interesting
steve

http://homews.co.uk/page10.html

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter
etard
yes if you click on all the links in the soft jaws section you can see the setups he does using a rotary table. i seen it in there somewhere
steve

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Want a lathe badly enough to make one? From scratch? Poking around on the internet I found this:

It isn't much of a machine, but accurate enough to provide a basis for making advanced tooling. Thought it might be interesting to watch, if nothing else. A hand drill and a welder is all the tooling required. Most of the parts are scrap iron, a few to be bought. Suspect eastern Europe, not sure where. There are a few links from there about other machines. I saw one for building a serious drill press as well.

I don't know how to transfer a video to the BBS, I'm am old timer, so I just posted the address.

Bill Hudson
EDIT: Well, it seems I managed to get the video just by posting the link. The wonders of ... ...

Last edited:

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
OMG! I had to cringe a number of times during the video. Lots of very elementary errors, poor alignment, welding near and hammering atop the precision linear rails/bearings, etc. etc. I do agree with your comment, "It isn't much of a machine ..." If nothing else, he should have gone for an independent (4) jaw chuck. That way, he could at least make up for the runout he has in the spindle/backplate/chuck mounting. Ah, well ... guess it's better than nothing ...

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Did you notice the rebar hacksaw? Or the nail center punch?

f350ca

Registered
Registered
Im rather impressed. No he probably won't be getting any contracts from Nasa but bet he gets LOTS of work where he lives, probably the only lathe in town.

Greg

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Did you notice the rebar hacksaw? Or the nail center punch?
Did notice, but forgot to mention them. It looks like it's a concrete (hardened) nail ... spiral grooves along its length.

He also has some "modern" tools ... and a very unusual dust mask.

richl

Active User
Registered
Is it any worse than one of the "affordable" 7x10 chinese lathes. There are some crude aspects of his working, but he did get a reasonably useable machine outta it. I cringed with him hammering on the roller bearings lol. I have seen this on my youtube playlist for about a week, I'm always watching guys from Asia or Poland or central Europe making and modifying machines. The title image gives an entirely different impression of what really goes in in the video.

alloy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Love the open toe sandals he's wearing when he's on the drill press.

But, bottom line he accomplished what he set out to do. Adapt, improvise and overcome.

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
Same guy who built this:?
rattyxfmr.jpg
Is that a dust mask or is he afraid of being recognized? LOL

Last edited:

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Registered
Sometimes you just Have to make due with what you got and you may very well be surprized at what you end up with in the end!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code