Internal threating

When I started out, I set the compound to 29+-. Then watched Joe Pie's YouTube video on threading. Made perfect sense. At anything less than a perfect 30* the tool will not be taking a big enough bite to cut on the one side. Result will be rubbing, burnishing, heating. On external threads I have good results, cutting tool upside down and cutting away from the chuck. No crazy fast moves required. I've been cutting all of my external threads that way and get good results, if I'm using metal that machines well. This morning I sharpened my HSS internal threading tool. Put a bit more relief on. Now to make the test part and see if I can sneak up on a fit for the internal part.

If I get the internal threading down, my next project is a spider for the out-board end of the spindle.

Success! Turned out I couldn't use wires because the threads were to far back in the machine. Turned several female threaded parts out of scrap until I got one that fit. Then turned an external threaded part that fit that. Then threaded the good part to fit the sample. What a lot of messing around! But the new part fits quite well. Have it setup in a collet block to mill the wrench flats. Need to buy another 3mm end mill to cut the keyway. Dropped the one I had and could not find it.
Next project is one my wife has been "suggesting" for quite a while. 30' of porch rail with turned balustrade. Going to make it out of cypress.

Back