Introducing a new to me old Logan

KyleG

Registered
Registered
I am now the proud caretaker of a '45 Logan 825, SN 28621. This lathe started it's life in the Pitcairn rail yard where my grandfather worked. When they downsized the machine shop, he bought the lathe off PRR for scrap price. It lived in his basement, and then a relative's workshop. The lathe was no longer being used, so it was offered to me.
IMG_2645.JPG

Fortunately we had the equipment to move it; overkill is underrated as they say. A tilt-deck flatbed and a forklift made short work of the retrieval job. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos of the move.

Initial tuneup included:
  • Machining the thread relief on the backplate for the three-jaw (John didn't realize fitting the register was left to the user, so it only ran on until the thread stopped)
  • Cleaning up a galled change gear shaft
  • Making a stop collar for the backgear rack
  • Adding some goodies (a QCTP and a live center)
  • Adjusting gibs
  • Lots of lubrication
Things seem to be running well. After sorting out the galled countershaft, all the functions work smoothly. There is noticeable wear on the cross slide, and some wear in the bed, but no measurable play in the spindle. I've made a few little parts so far:

IMG_2624.JPGIMG_2626.JPGIMG_2637 copy.jpg
Plus a couple others I don't have photos of.

Future tasks include:
  • Re-machining the chuck register on the back plate. The chuck runs out about .005 since the spindle register was machined.
  • Replacing the alligator laced belt with an endless belt do the lathe runs quieter and more smoothly.

I'm looking forward to learning and making more parts. Fortunately, the lathe has been kept tidy, so aside from the couple of known mechanical gremlins, I'm ready to make chips!

Best regards,
Kyle

Last edited:
Nice lathe, Kyle.

Welcome to HM!

Welcome to the group. Looks like a nice Logan you have there.

I am now the proud caretaker of a '45 Logan 825, SN 28621. This lathe started it's life in the Pitcairn rail yard where my grandfather worked. When they downsized the machine shop, he bought the lathe off PRR for scrap price. It lived in his basement, and then a relative's workshop. The lathe was no longer being used, so it was offered to me.
View attachment 364892

Fortunately we had the equipment to move it; overkill is underrated as they say. A tilt-deck flatbed and a forklift made short work of the retrieval job. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos of the move.

Initial tuneup included:
  • Machining the thread relief on the backplate for the three-jaw (John didn't realize fitting the register was left to the user, so it only ran on until the thread stopped)
  • Cleaning up a galled change gear shaft
  • Making a stop collar for the backgear rack
  • Adding some goodies (a QCTP and a live center)
  • Adjusting gibs
  • Lots of lubrication
Things seem to be running well. After sorting out the galled countershaft, all the functions work smoothly. There is noticeable wear on the cross slide, and some wear in the bed, but no measurable play in the spindle. I've made a few little parts so far:

View attachment 364893View attachment 364894View attachment 364895
Plus a couple others I don't have photos of.

Future tasks include:
  • Re-machining the chuck register on the back plate. The chuck runs out about .005 since the spindle register was machined.
  • Replacing the alligator laced belt with an endless belt do the lathe runs quieter and more smoothly.

I'm looking forward to learning and making more parts. Fortunately, the lathe has been kept tidy, so aside from the couple of known mechanical gremlins, I'm ready to make chips!

Best regards,
Kyle
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great very knowledgeable members who give a lot to help others. If you don't have a manual, one option is Logan Lathe is still in business if selling manuals and many parts. There are a couple squirreled a round the internet. If you are a contributing member you can check the forum files. Scott Logan, grandson of the founder has a groups.io forum and I'm told one on FB. If for nothing else, there are many interesting files and comments by Scott. If you are interested in measuring your wear, lots of ideas and suggestions are posted here.

Ron

Love the family history. Your grandfather would be proud:)
Fortunately, he's still around to be proud in person. I picked up the lathe two days after his 99th birthday, and stopped in to wish him happy birthday on the way home!

I would like to make something for him on the lathe; if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Back