Introducing "Boat Anchor", an Atlas MHC Mill restoration (almost)

Atlas2start

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A while back, I locally purchased an Atlas MHC Horizontal Milling Machine. I called it Boat Anchor, because when I first saw pictures of it, it looked like it had been used as a boat anchor. Fortunately, that was not the case. In Any event, here is what the catalog shows an MHC should look like. (The Catalog shows an MHB.)
Catalog MHC.PNG

This is what I got.
IMG_3260.JPGIMG_3264.JPGIMG_3383.JPG

Completely disassembled, cleaned and painted. Replaced all bearings, belts and wires. And tracked down most of the missing pieces.

IMG_3979.jpgIMG_3980.jpg

The only thing I am still looking for are the arms to raise and lower the work table, and that rapidly move the work table from left to right. I know I could make something that works, but I would like to find some original arms.

Wow, that looks fantastic, great job!

Good work. Mc Master has all types of hand wheels. You should be able to find one that works.:cheerful:

Good work. Mc Master has all types of hand wheels. You should be able to find one that works.:cheerful:

True. I can find handwheels on ebay all day long, but I want it to be original, so I want to find the levers that it came with. Wish me luck! :)

I have a Barker mill with lever feed on the X axis and it's amazing how much control you can get with the lever feed. As you push the lever you can easily feel with your hand how it's cutting and apply more or less pressure as needed. Conventional milling only (but the Atlas mills can only do conventional milling anyway).

God what a cool little machine! You did a great job cleaning it up!

Looks great! Tables aren't usually painted but no one says you can't- and it will prevent rust until your vise begins to wear it off
-mark

Looks great! Tables aren't usually painted but no one says you can't- and it will prevent rust until your vise begins to wear it off
-mark

That was exactly my thinking too. And if I need to, I can always sand blast it off.

That looks amazing. Never seen a painted table.
It looks new.

Back