Introduction - New Atlas Lathe Owner

That sounds like a good idea. Gear teeth too tight (needs more shims) would also make the gears difficult to engage.

Well it's not pretty... Had to improvise a few times... but it's on there! And it works!

I'll attached the PDF template I made too.

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

Attachments

• RBO - Atlas 12''_Cage.pdf
    134.1 KB · Views: 9
Looks good. Once you change the mounting screws, it should work fine.

Hey guys, I tried out the power feed for the first time today after re-assembling it. It seems a little loud and I wanted verification that this is normal.

00:00 - Running Without Feed Engaged
00:15 - Feed Engaged

Note: It sounds about the same as it did before I tore down the system.

Note 2: I have applied some high temp grease from Timken to these gears and verified that they are snugged up.

Thanks,
RBO

It sounds as though one of the gears has either a bad tooth or excessive run-out (wobble). Remove the gears one at a time, beginning with the screw gear. To simulate the lead screw load, hold a piece of wood against the teeth of the last remaining gear in the train with moderate force. Ignore any noise that the block and gear teeth make.

Just for Kicks I might paint a white DOT on each of the gears than run it to see if the sound matches with one of them as it rotates in time with the dot motion.
It might be hard to see but worth a try.

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of this spring for my 12'' lathe? (I realize this isn't the appropriate exploded view from my lathe)

Capture.JPG

I don't, but I would recommend you try Clausing first. Because to replace that spring, you need to know three dimensions, not just one or two. Besides the length and the diameter of the spring, you must also know the diameter of the wire that the spring was made from.

I don't, but I would recommend you try Clausing first. Because to replace that spring, you need to know three dimensions, not just one or two. Besides the length and the diameter of the spring, you must also know the diameter of the wire that the spring was made from.

Thanks for the tip. Clausing got back to me with this (putting it here for future reference)

Spring_Info.png

Back