Introduction - New member

jrkorman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Been hanging out in the forums since this past summer, picking up info here and there.

Jumped on a chance "Craftsman lathe" at an estate sale nearby in Abilene, TX. Turned out to
be a Craftsman 12x24; 101.07403 (Serial # 6069 S) for sale. Was able to look it over pretty well
and it ended up going home with me; now my first operational lathe (I've got parts of a 618 in storage).

(added picture)
20171031_204152.jpg
First off, thanks to the many folks who have discussed their lathes here. Those comments and references
helped me to go over all of the lubrication points and such to make sure everything was ok.
Once I got power to the lathe I noticed that it was quite noisy at the tumbler. Took that completely
apart, cleaned everything well and applied some lube to everything that moved. Smooth and quiet now.

Still quite a bit of cleaning to go; the carriage is filthy and has quite a few chips everywhere.
Since I haven't used a lathe since the 9th grade (1971/2) I'm "hitting the books" and will be taking
it slow for a bit.

Jim Korman

Last edited:
Congrats on landing your new old lathe. Look forward to you posting pics of it. You know, without pics it never happened!!
Welcome to the forum, there are many here that can answer all your questions and always willing to do so. It's a great place.

Jeff, Same as I told my grandson when he was telling me about his 13" bass. Been removing the very old fiberglass insulation
from the shop and replacing it with foam board.

Jim Korman

Reactions: Z2V
Hi Jim,

welcome to HM. tubalcaine, aka Mr. Pete, in his older Utube videos has many, very well done videos on machining. You might check out his list and look for topics that intwrest you. I found dozens of videos that were spot on when I was trying to figure out proper methods for making chips.

Also, the search feature on the forum often will bring up some excellent discussion about how to do stuff. AS well as throwing a question out to the list - anytime you want to!

Glenn

Nice lathe, I see a QCTP in your future.

Hi Jim,

welcome to HM. tubalcaine, aka Mr. Pete, in his older Utube videos has many, very well done videos on machining. You might check out his list and look for topics that intwrest you. I found dozens of videos that were spot on when I was trying to figure out proper methods for making chips.

Also, the search feature on the forum often will bring up some excellent discussion about how to do stuff. AS well as throwing a question out to the list - anytime you want to!

Glenn

Indeed - I've been going through his video's for awhile now. Kind of reminds me of our 9th grade metal shop teacher. I've been
using his Atlas/Craftsman 12" videos as a "how-to" to set up the "cleaning order" for mine.

BTW - How'd I end up with two separate threads? Not had this problem on other forums!

Jim

Jim
You might try to reach out to one of the moderators and ask if they can be consolidated before it goes too far. Maybe?

Don't worry about it, something funny going on with the board today. Lots of double if not more duplicate posts showing up. Weird Halloween thing?

-frank

It happened to me on my Gilmer 4 in 1 post in vintage machinery 4 times before I realized what was going on . I kept getting a message that my post had a problem and I should try later . One thing that is new (and I really like it) is the attachment (paper clip) for pics . Nice !

Back