inverted v templates

There are 2 inverted v's and 2 flats, the saddle only runs on one inverted V, the front one, the back one is only used to mount the tail stock and steady rest, so I used those as my "true surface" to measure from after I measured the bed using about 8 different methods, you can also stick out the .0005 indicator towards the head several inches and see the drop on the original bed if you only have one inverted V, the second bed required a .0001 indicator. The bed on the back side was actually worn below the flat surface on the bottom side several thou' you can measure this with the mic in conjunction with the indicator on top. The indicator validates the drop in the bed if the saddle has worn the top, which it typically will not happen because the cutter causes the back of the saddle to rise from what I have measured.

...... View attachment 235353 View attachment 235354

That still does not answer my question about the tailstock ways being straight. How do you know they are not worn?

The price of new is really high. Too high for most of us as a hobby or when just doing a few machines.
If you find a quality plate, like that pink rock you can do some basic checks and probably come away with a goodn.
Look for scratches. You have to look from all elevations and circle the whole plate. Sunlight is great but if its at the wrong angle it will
hide scratches.
Lightly run your open hand over the plate to feel for damage.
Light is very important and a light you can move around to make scratches show while you look from differing positions is needed.
Look for proper mounting of the plate and that it was covered and not used as a table.
Look for chips.
There's information if you do a search for checking them with an indicator.

You can actually scrape a part so flat that it will let you feel some minor flaws in the plate.
Some good deals come up if you watch craigs list n such but you might have to wait awhile.
For the price you spoke of I would expect it to have a nice stand and be in perfect condition and maybe be delivered.
Perhaps they should have it calibrated too. But I'm kinda cheap.

Going by Jim's comments above on buying a used surface plate. I have a Starrett pink granite plate I picked up a while back. Actually had it shipped to me. The seller was nice enough to put a piece of beaver board over the top to keep it from being damaged. It's a 18 x 24 two ledge that is almost 7" thick! The surface is smooth with a edge that was nicked. Other than that, a nice surface plate. I don't trust it for scraping, for laying out and other uses, it's good enough. One of these days, I'll get it checked and calibrated. My other surface plate is a 18 x 24 Trustone, I think that's the name, now part of Starret. It had some kind of fixture attached to it when I got it. Very obvious, this plate was used very little in it's life. Does have a calibration sticker on it from 2000 something and calibrated to "A" precision. After using it for scraping and fitting, I'm beginning to think it is closer to a "AA" precision plate! So, there are good plates out there, just have be very selective in choosing one that is in good shape for our kind of work.

If you put the indicator on the tailstock ways, about 5" away, along it, you will see it dip if its having a problem. Look at the two outer pictures of the 3 in a row posted above, if you set up like the one on the right and put the indicator on the back inverted way like its shown on the left, you will see it dip if its worn when you move along it. I need to take a picture of what I mean but my shop is chaos so it wont happen for a while....

It is not the brands that matter. It is that the calibration tools are calibrated to NIST, and the techs know and care what the hell they are doing. Standridge Granite goes on a road trip which includes going to Reno from their home in Southern California several times each year. They would be happy to stop by and calibrate and certify your plate for you. BUT, there is a mileage charge and a minimum invoice charge, which will make it prohibitively high priced all said and done. We had Standridge come by my shop and cert. 5 plates from 4 owners. Together, we shared the mileage charge and had enough work to make the minimum invoice, so it was quite a bit cheaper that way. They can all be calibrated, regardless of wear, Standridge charges extra for over .001" out, but they let mine go for the regular price with .003" out. It only took them about 20 minutes to calibrate and certify it. Good company, friendly and helpful techs, love to talk while they work and answer questions, and deliver more than what they promise.

My point is that if you have to trust someone, use someone you can trust.

Bob, Shars says they can provide a NIST traceable plate for an extra $75.00 would this fit the bill? If not I'm about to buy a new one from either ACE, Standridge, or perhaps Precision.

Going by Jim's comments above on buying a used surface plate. I have a Starrett pink granite plate I picked up a while back. Actually had it shipped to me. The seller was nice enough to put a piece of beaver board over the top to keep it from being damaged. It's a 18 x 24 two ledge that is almost 7" thick! The surface is smooth with a edge that was nicked. Other than that, a nice surface plate. I don't trust it for scraping, for laying out and other uses, it's good enough. One of these days, I'll get it checked and calibrated. My other surface plate is a 18 x 24 Trustone, I think that's the name, now part of Starret. It had some kind of fixture attached to it when I got it. Very obvious, this plate was used very little in it's life. Does have a calibration sticker on it from 2000 something and calibrated to "A" precision. After using it for scraping and fitting, I'm beginning to think it is closer to a "AA" precision plate! So, there are good plates out there, just have be very selective in choosing one that is in good shape for our kind of work.

Wow 7" thick? Heavy and close to AA! Seems lots of people buy used plates but being savvy enough to even get close on the quality is a long shot. For me it might be too far out there yet. The more I read the more I don't trust myself to determine a value on one. Bob's at $50 if you can't get a recent quality report. The 500$ plate getting re certified shipped etc. It's out the window and feasibility...wouldn't come out ahead on that one. MSCdirect has plates but aren't NIST unless you get their only branded one Starrett. Bummer because their warehouse is so close.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is size. I think 24x24 might be the way to do. I know for sure putting something like a cross slide on it would be no problem. Plus that's the same width of my workbench. Thus I can build a table for it at a good height at the end. (3 pointer as per other thread and astjp2's table build.)

Paul

The price of new is really high. Too high for most of us as a hobby or when just doing a few machines.
If you find a quality plate, like that pink rock you can do some basic checks and probably come away with a goodn.
Look for scratches. You have to look from all elevations and circle the whole plate. Sunlight is great but if its at the wrong angle it will
hide scratches.
Lightly run your open hand over the plate to feel for damage.
Light is very important and a light you can move around to make scratches show while you look from differing positions is needed.
Look for proper mounting of the plate and that it was covered and not used as a table.
Look for chips.
There's information if you do a search for checking them with an indicator.

You can actually scrape a part so flat that it will let you feel some minor flaws in the plate.
Some good deals come up if you watch craigs list n such but you might have to wait awhile.
For the price you spoke of I would expect it to have a nice stand and be in perfect condition and maybe be delivered.
Perhaps they should have it calibrated too. But I'm kinda cheap.

My lack of experience is pushing hard in the direction of new. I think if I had the years into it like you and the other guys have I could get close.
Yeah, on the pink plate I think I should probably skip it. It's in the middle of the country. If I was going to do it. I'd send it directly to Starrett to re calibrate. But then the cost is getting over new price...

I am going to build a table similar to yours though. I've got a decent mig I can use. I certainly am not as good as the unit is!

Paul

Paul, you can get an A quality plate from 18X24 Standridge's for about 385$ US. More for shipping, of course - Nevada's no too far! Better than a used plate for $400 or more... (I have no affiliation to Standridge, nor am I a customer, just an example.)

Paul, you can get an A quality plate from 18X24 Standridge's for about 385$ US. More for shipping, of course - Nevada's no too far! Better than a used plate for $400 or more... (I have no affiliation to Standridge, nor am I a customer, just an example.)

You got a point! I've probably spent more time talking about it than making the money to buy it! :)

Maybe the question should be if you guys were going to buy a new 24x24 grade A what would you get(from the west coast)? I'm thinking the slides will fit nicely on it once I get that far.

Back