Inverter tig welder & nearby vfd

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
I was going to post this in the electrical power knowledge but I think this is the better spot.

So I’ll just post my question here.

Like the title says, I have a 300a inverter tig welder and vfd that will be powering the new motor for my mill nearby, in very close proximity. Do any of the electrically smart or persons with experience see a problem in my future?
Common sense tells from everything I’ve read it not a bad question to ask.
If There is the possibility, which is more likely to cause the other to have problems?
Common sense also tells me the tig welder is going to be the one causing problem with the vfd, but I can see how the vfd might cause problems with the welder.

I’ve googled and didn’t find much.

But like I said, this isn’t even a problem at this time,I just want to know if there’s a good chance I will have problems, and since more and more people are using them in the home shop I think it’s a very good question?

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I don't think there will be any problems. I have not noted any with my inverter plasma cutter and the various VFDs and CNC controllers in my shop, even when running both at the same time.

Cadillac

Bronze
Registered
I’ve noticed my shop radio gets static from the vfd when on. Happens more to AM than FM. I have a HF Miller dynasty and don’t have any problems. Haven’t figured out how to weld and use the mill at the same time so idk;)

coherent

Registered
I don' t think you'll have an issue. Computers are a different story though. Lower cost import welders and especially plasma cutters cause havic with computers/CNC electronics.

homebrewed

Registered
Some DRO designs are more susceptible to electrical noise. So add that to the list of potential issues, if you have DROs on any of your machines.

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
I do this every time,start a thread and get busy, then forget about it and then see a bunch of replies. Appreciate it. So looks like I’m good to go as long as I’m not depending on the radio to do the work,I can live with that.

gr8legs

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I have not yet had the CNC mill running when I used the TIG machine so I don't know if that creates a problem, but the HF start on the TIG definitely causes the GFI on a nearby circuit to trip regularly. Annoying but not yet annoying enough to troubleshoot.

Stu

I was shocked when my psychiatrist told me I was imagining things. I'm not seeing a psychiatrist.

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
I want even thinking about high frequency when I started this and that’s the only way I care to weld tig so I will keep on eye on that. Thanks

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
That’s very true 38super. Can’t beleive they haven’t come up with a way to shield you from it easily,we’ll besides just not being around it at all. Microwaves too, gotta watch out for them also. I would be screwed. IDE have to come up with a remote start. Lol

38super

Registered
Semi impractical, radiated EM field decreases by log. There's a product called Attic Foil that I installed under the roof rafters, definitely affects TV reception. Does keep the house cooler in summer.