Inverter tig welder & nearby vfd

Shawn_Laughlin

Registered
Registered
I was going to post this in the electrical power knowledge but I think this is the better spot.

So I’ll just post my question here.

Like the title says, I have a 300a inverter tig welder and vfd that will be powering the new motor for my mill nearby, in very close proximity. Do any of the electrically smart or persons with experience see a problem in my future?
Common sense tells from everything I’ve read it not a bad question to ask.
If There is the possibility, which is more likely to cause the other to have problems?
Common sense also tells me the tig welder is going to be the one causing problem with the vfd, but I can see how the vfd might cause problems with the welder.

I’ve googled and didn’t find much.

But like I said, this isn’t even a problem at this time,I just want to know if there’s a good chance I will have problems, and since more and more people are using them in the home shop I think it’s a very good question?

Last edited:
I don't think there will be any problems. I have not noted any with my inverter plasma cutter and the various VFDs and CNC controllers in my shop, even when running both at the same time.

I’ve noticed my shop radio gets static from the vfd when on. Happens more to AM than FM. I have a HF Miller dynasty and don’t have any problems. Haven’t figured out how to weld and use the mill at the same time so idk;)

I don' t think you'll have an issue. Computers are a different story though. Lower cost import welders and especially plasma cutters cause havic with computers/CNC electronics.

Some DRO designs are more susceptible to electrical noise. So add that to the list of potential issues, if you have DROs on any of your machines.

I do this every time,start a thread and get busy, then forget about it and then see a bunch of replies. Appreciate it. So looks like I’m good to go as long as I’m not depending on the radio to do the work,I can live with that.

I have not yet had the CNC mill running when I used the TIG machine so I don't know if that creates a problem, but the HF start on the TIG definitely causes the GFI on a nearby circuit to trip regularly. Annoying but not yet annoying enough to troubleshoot.

Stu

I was shocked when my psychiatrist told me I was imagining things. I'm not seeing a psychiatrist.

Back