Irreversible modification

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I found this machine on Craigslist. I didn’t really want to flame the guy, but would say this is a blunder that should have been avoided.2445F6CF-2E10-4569-B0BE-90B580456D77.jpeg

You are probably correct, however there may be another perspective. I agree with you that notching the bed is a sacralidge, however to notch the non travel section of the tail stock ways does not compromise the function of the lathe and gives you a little more swing to get that certain job done.

In other words don't be too quick to point out someone's mistakes. Perhaps it was not a goof/blunder - maybe it was on purpose?

I hadn’t thought about it from that view. It’s a fair point. I suppose if the job you did with it, saved or made you the dollar amount you’ve spent on the machine, a person could conceivably justify it. I do believe it was on purpose and for a reason. Truth is, I saw that, and figured it’d be interesting to read the forums comments on it. So, I thank you for your viewpoint.

Not uncommon...seen it done to very large lathe so a job could be turned.....They broke out the bed with sledgehammer and chisel. I have bevelled the ways to swing a slightly oversize job...........needs must when the devil drives.

It's a gap bed lathe, just not the sort that you would normally think of. I have one of the "normal" type and love it. Looks like that was likely just an out of the box solution to an immediate problem. Pity it's a bit of a hack job, but looks like it could be cleaned up.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

I saw one lathe that was about 16" swing, that had the bed cut away down to the level of the leadscrew for nearly 12" in length, that was quite extreme to say the least, I think good blow could have broken it in half; I have seen a good many other lathes that the ways or portions of them cut away for some special job, it is not uncommon. I think that if it is done, it should be done neatly; having said that, I would never do so. If you need a larger swing, block the headstock up, even just temporarily. Where I apprenticed, they had a 40" lathe blocked up to swing 87"; at one point it was blocked up even higher, but this was later removed, as it was too unstable, even with braces to the wall and floor.

Back