Irreversible modification

Necessity is the motherhood of butchery......:eek:

So let me make sure I understand. I posted this as something that should not be done. But pretty much all of you believe it’s completely acceptable, so long as you can justify it with a temporary income stream? ( as if we were all in a room together and you could all shake your heads and say no, no that’s not what I meant..)

So since it’s so common to do, does that mean you’d buy, or recommend the purchase of a machine with its ways cut to a brand new hobby machinist? Would you recommend, to a person who came here with no machining background, to cut their lathe bed ways in order to complete a HOBBY project?( once again, I’m imagining you all grumbling “no, you don’t understand what I said right”)

I do happen to like Atlas Craftsman lathes, but my feelings are intact. Our opinions differ, but I’m sure you have good cause for yours. Mine’s actually just silly. I think they are some of the prettiest little lathes I’ve ever seen. And I don’t give a hoot about practical matters, because if I did, I wouldn’t be a hobby machinist, I’d be a practical one. Aaaand I’ll stop there.

When I see something like this I just think it's his tool/machine he can do as he pleases as long as it doesn't hurt other people. I'm sure he had a good reason to make the modification to do a job instead of buying a larger machine. I only care if someone damages or modifies a museum piece.

If you got it then at least it could be cleaned up to look like it belongs like that. At least look like it belongs to the casual observer not anyone knowing better. And the size might come in handy from time to time.

Could also be a big element to bring up negotiating price.

Exactly. If it came time to sell that lathe, it could be hard to sell, and definitely affect the sale price.

Right, after many years of using it and enjoying having a lathe to use the price is the price on both sides.

I would not buy a machine that had been this badly treated.
I look at that photo and think "well that has to be a few bucks off" The metal removed is not affecting the structural integrity and as has been mentioned a bit of a tidy-up and it would look factory to those not familiar with the model.
A LOT of my tools have come from O.P.R,(Other Peoples Rubbish),that with a little time and labour I have resurrected or refurbished with embellishment. A tool or machine would have to be utter crap before I would condemn it and as I know what it is like to have grand dreams and an empty wallet I can say any tool is better than no tool. I also have no hesitation in modifying tools or machines to make them fit for purpose.

Its easier to be holier than me.......but you have a ship laid up ,costing a $1000 a day port fees,and the only way you can do the job is by modifying the lathe in the shop,then you must make a decision.........needs must when the devil drives.

Reactions: jcp
And when the customer has a ship costing thousands a day, you can charge pretty much what you like for the parts, which would pay
for a new Craftsman lathe. :)

Back