Irreversible modification

"I cannot, in all good conscience, buy a lathe that has been desecrated in such a manner- it is a sacrilege to my profession. Quick,- discount it 30% before I change my mind, and I shall forgive you're transgressions"!!!!!

That's what you say.

Duck down and right if he swings at you. lol

Is the craigslist ad still up? Would be nice to hear the actual story of what happened with that. Maybe one of grandpa's war stories?

Could be it was mounted in a ships machine shop and the ship is hit and going down, need to turn a new part to save the ship. Maybe a plug to stop the sinking... Some hero saved the day. Or too much beer in someone's garage?

There are lots of cases where a job needs to be done NOW. There's no time to buy a bigger lathe. There's no time to block up the headstock, tailstock and tool rest. We need it NOW--fill in your own reason why. Like: "The crop is ready to be harvested but the combine has broken down." Etc, etc.

We might not like it but any one of us would do the same if cutting a chunk out of the lathe bed was the only reasonable option in the circumstances.

Craig
My Atlas 618 had slightly smaller chunks out of it when I bought it. No effect on use so far.

Is the craigslist ad still up? Would be nice to hear the actual story of what happened with that. Maybe one of grandpa's war stories?

Could be it was mounted in a ships machine shop and the ship is hit and going down, need to turn a new part to save the ship. Maybe a plug to stop the sinking... Some hero saved the day. Or too much beer in someone's garage?

i can’t find the ad anymore. I can tell you it was described as being in excellent condition and asking price was 1100 dollars.

I guess everyone has their own view of what "excellent condition" means...

My lathe has a factory removable part to make it a gap bed lathe.
How common is that ?

At least you can see the modification. Had this specific individual taken the time to do a decent job on the modification then you might not even have noticed or cared. As for $1100 price, better off with a used G0602 or similar.

Back