Is a dividing head a worthwhile item to have?

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I’m thinking of buying a “gift” for my PM835 mill. I see that eBay has the Chinese dividing heads for a very reasonable price. I’m just wondering how indispensable is that to have? I want to make a outboard spider, I thought this would make it much easier

Dividing heads are incredibly useful but beware of Ebay sales, if the price is too good it could be a scam
-M

Also those inexpensive imports have a B&S taper not a MT taper. I would looked for a good used L-W unit.

A dividing head is a pretty shelf decoration until you need it. When you do need it, there is no substitute. A rotary table will almost work, up to maybe 6 or 8 divisions, but isn't quite there. If you are going to cut gears from scratch, it is irreplacible. I have found many other uses as well, even some for woodworking, making jigs, fixtures, and gauges. There are a few limitations, being centered on prime numbers above about 50.

I do small work, models mostly, having several dividing heads. One is a rotary table with fraction plates fitted. One is a B&S dedicated dividing head. And somewhere is a B&S#0 clone. It's too heavy to have been misappropriated, I'm sure it's here, somewhere. The smallest is that 3-1/2 inch RT, the largest is the B&S #0 with a 1-1/2X8 threaded chuck mount.

BTW, even a clone starts at $350 m/l plus shipping. Beware of that fantastic deal for $39.95 with free shipping. The shipping alone will cost more than that. There is a "regular" scam on eBay for just that. Don't bite, it is a scam.

Another note, having read the post just before me: Most of the dedicated B&S heads, including clones, have a B&S taper socket. Not a Morse, although it measures almost like one.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a B&S taper on a dividing head, you will not mount tools in it, and most work is between centers or chucked. If prime numbers are a problem, a universal dividing head is the cure, using change gears between the spindle and dividing plate. I have this feature on my mill/dividing head and have used it many times for multiple tasks, including making odd gears and spiral cutting, and graduating rules.

The first time I saw one being used, I knew I had to have a dividing head when I eventually got a mill. I use mine a lot! As above, the auxulliary input makes it even more versatile.

They're really fun to use, I particularly enjoy making gears. I'd say go for it!

Back