Is a dry cut saw the same as a cold saw?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi guys, I picked up an old 12" Everett chop saw at a steal of a price from a metal shop.
I am planning to replace the grinding cut off wheel with a carbide metal cutting blade, along with either an inverter duty ac motor or a DC motor (I have both inverter vfd's and DC pwm drives).
Anyways, this led me to ask what, if any, difference is there with a dry cut saw vs a cold saw?
What is it about traditional cold saws that cause their prices to be in the thousands if $'s (other than being on a heavy stand/base)?
Susan

Whats the rpm? And some photos please!

No, a cold saw has a HSS blade and runs down around 80-100 rpm with coolant. They are very heavily built of cast-iron, a real machine tool. A dry saw has a carbide tipped blade and runs in the 1000-1500 rpm range without coolant (dry). They are generally constructed more like an abrasive chop saw. I've never used a dry saw, but I did a lot of cutting with a Brobo cold saw. I was able to cut parts to finished length, easily holding +/-.005 or better. No need to mill.

With a vfd, it will have variable speed.
I am not home now, but attached is a pic of the same model that I have. They are the same except mine came with pneaumatic clamps.

Attachments

• 5-HP-Everett-Saw-Model-12S-_1.jpg
    5-HP-Everett-Saw-Model-12S-_1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 57
No, a cold saw has a HSS blade and runs down around 80-100 rpm with coolant. They are very heavily built of cast-iron, a real machine tool. A dry saw has a carbide tipped blade and runs in the 1000-1500 rpm range without coolant (dry). They are generally constructed more like an abrasive chop saw. I've never used a dry saw, but I did a lot of cutting with a Brobo cold saw. I was able to cut parts to finished length, easily holding +/-.005 or better. No need to mill.
I just posted a pic of the same model (I am not home now to take a pic). I was planning on running it slow with my vfd. Nearly killed myself getting it out of my car cuz of the weight, lol

Hi guys, I picked up an old 12" Everett chop saw at a steal of a price from a metal shop.
I am planning to replace the grinding cut off wheel with a carbide metal cutting blade, along with either an inverter duty ac motor or a DC motor (I have both inverter vfd's and DC pwm drives).
Anyways, this led me to ask what, if any, difference is there with a dry cut saw vs a cold saw?
What is it about traditional cold saws that cause their prices to be in the thousands if $'s (other than being on a heavy stand/base)?
Susan

One thing to be wary of is the rated RPM differences between abrasive wheels and carbide tipped blades. They can be quite varied. And then more importantly, there are many differences in RPM in each product family depending on size, thickness and type.

Key point is that if you intend to use a blade that is not sold with the saw, make sure your blade is rated to stay at or below your motor RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Information on saw, since it uses abrasive wheels that need a specific RPM, using a VFD to slow it down may not be a viable option. Cold saw is a different animal. If you are cutting a lot of metal stock a horizontal metal bandsaw would probably be a better option with less mess and noise. The Everett chop saw are not inexpensive, I would assume they have a good resale value (or trade).

Information on saw, since it uses abrasive wheels that need a specific RPM, using a VFD to slow it down may not be a viable option. Cold saw is a different animal. If you are cutting a lot of metal stock a horizontal metal bandsaw would probably be a better option with less mess and noise. The Everett chop saw are not inexpensive, I would assume they have a good resale value (or trade).
I think Susan's intention is to use a VFD on an abrasive chop saw with the intention of using a dry saw blade. I'm not certain on the Everett, but I'm guessing 3450RPM or higher.

In contrast, I have an Evolution 380 that runs at a no load speed of 1450 RPM and the 14" carbide tipped blade is rated for max speed of 1600RPM.

The Everett website has a lot of useful information. I didn't know much about them so thanks Susan for introducing me to yet another potential machine to look out for!

Here is a link to their page on saw selection. Sounds like a phone call might be helpful to them.

I'm not sure I would spend much time or money attempting to convert it to a "cold saw" style saw. I have a similar size Black & Decker "Professional" dry saw from the 1980's. It's essentially a heavy chop saw with a speed from the factory was 4,500 rpm. It's on a speed control that will take the rpm down to 1,800.

I replaced the blade that was on it with a $200.00 German made carbide tipped aluminum cutting blade. I also made an intake table to clamp stock in place while cutting. It works but in the scheme of things it's noisy, messy, and scary to operate. I've had the saw over 20 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've used it as a dry saw. I have used it a number of times as a chop saw with an abrasive wheel to cut up scrap. It isn't really rigid enough to cut accurate lengths. Of all the saws in the shop it's by far the least used.

Back