Is a Jog switch something I can easily add to my lathe?

sycle1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just wondering is a Jog switch something I can easily add to my newly aquired Chinese lathe?
I used to have an old wood lathe and the on switch acted like a jog switch it was real handy when setting work up.
Would be great if I could get the on switch to act like that on this lathe.
Cheers

If it has a magnetic starter, it is likely possible. the jog switch would be a momentary contact push button, which when depressed would interrupt the hold in circuit of the mag starter, while energizing the coil for the time it is depressed.
This said, I find it easier to simply disengage the gearing of the machine while moving the spindle by hand. A jog feature is handy in larger machines, and by that, I mean bigger machines, like a 36" plus swing lathe, not anything much smaller.

From an industrial perspective (mine) a "jog" function involves a low speed operation as well as a press to run. Most Chinese tools for the "consumer" market have an AC motor with direct (usually belt) drive. I can picture in my mind a second motor with a high reduction drive that could be switched into the drive line as needed. But to have something of that nature with a single motor would involve a dual speed motor. You're talking more $$ for the motor than for the machine.

A simple "push to run" button would serve but it would be at rated speed, meaning no real low speed control. I would concur with the above, simply take it out of gear and spin the chuck by hand. Most times, it wouldn't even be necessary to knock it out of gear.

Of course you could simply add a momentary push button across the existing on/off switch, but it isn't a true jog. You would need to tap the button quickly. You didn't say how big the motor is but on a smaller motor you could get by with it I suppose
-Mark

Can't tell you how my Grizzly G0709 14" x 40" jog switch is wired, but it works pretty much like markba633csi describes above. My lathe is reversible, but the jog is only in the forward direction. I use it all the time, especially when changing speed on the lathe. The G0709 is a gear head lathe, shifting can be a bit finicky. I usually go just past the position and drop back to it. Then just bump the jog button is make sure the gears are engaged. There's a guy on YouTube with a G0709 that shifts his with the motor still turning. For the life of me I could never understand why he'd let those gears grind on each other until "wham", they engaged.

Bruce

The old wood lathe a Sherline copy I believe, it had a start button and a stop button, same style switches as the new one, but if you pressed the start button it would do a revolution, then to keep it on you had to press the button firmer until it stayed on, is that just a really old worn out switch that does that function or is it a different style of switch to the switch on the new Chinese lathe?

There's a guy on YouTube with a G0709 that shifts his with the motor still turning. For the life of me I could never understand why he'd let those gears grind on each other until "wham", they engaged.
WOW! Can you post a link? I always like to see some proof that I am not as dumb as people tell me I am.

Back