Is a QCTP less rigid than the standard one supplied

Most shops here use multifix, but they are not my fave. When they get worn (because no one cleans out the chips) they are very unreliable. New ones, and well kept ones are as good as an aloris. the aloris wedge is one of the better toolposts, but I still find a lot of sue for my other ones as well...

When I began my apprenticeship back in the dark ages before overhead belt drive.... The shop I apprenticed in had four lathes, one had a four way, the other three had lantern posts. I learned on the lantern posts because the journeymen hogged the 4 way.
Eventually I built my 4 way. and kept it in the top of my tool box. I had spacers to put under it for all three lathes. 40 years ago I moved and went to a different shop, There we had a mix of 4 ways and Aloris types. But there few Aloris tool holders, we still had to set the tool height because everyone kept their tooling in their boxes. Management wouldn't buy enough holders for every use.

Now, as a hobbyist I can make all the holders I want.

i can imagine life without a QCTP on any of my lathes.
i learned with a lantern toolpost long ago, but knew there had to be a better way
4 ways always proved a PITA to me, i tried a couple, then rapidly sold them to get QCTP's
i won't use anything else now

Back