Is an old domestic lathe worth the same as a new import lathe?

there are other non asian lathes avail new (or used) but maybe not in the smaller sizes you are looking for. i suspect 1336 would be around the smallest. clausing metosa is one example (made in spain)

When making a decision, consider if you want to make metric threads. I was recently considering an industrial piece from the late 70's that was in very good condition. -About a 4000lb machine and very good price. Chucks were in great shape, had a collet closer. It was coming from a tool & die shop and was operated and maintained by professionals. Saw it, ran it... Clean machine -but it did not cut metric threads. -Deal breaker!

Ray C.

You can cut metric threads on an inch lead screw.

When making a decision, consider if you want to make metric threads. I was recently considering an industrial piece from the late 70's that was in very good condition. -About a 4000lb machine and very good price. Chucks were in great shape, had a collet closer. It was coming from a tool & die shop and was operated and maintained by professionals. Saw it, ran it... Clean machine -but it did not cut metric threads. -Deal breaker!

Ray C.

Yup,
you need to be able to add non-standard gears into the gear train to cut metric threads on a lathe with an imperial gearbox, the lead screw has nothing to do with it, just the ability to add the required gears to the gear train to achieve metric pitches, although this may prove an unsuitable solution in a production environment, even if possible ;-)

I just bought a new PM833T vertical mill. It is Taiwan made, and the difference between the Chinese lathe and the Taiwan mill is very noticeable. Not saying that the Chinese lathe is bad at all (it too is from Matt) but there is a difference. I went through the same thing you are going through when I bought my lathe. Waited, and waited, and waited for a "good old piece of iron", but it did not come in the 2-ish years I was looking. I also did not know enough then what to even look for in used iron, so to me I went with new. Got tired of waiting and not knowing if anything would ever show up. There was an Atlas that came up a few months ago about 6 miles from my home. Went to look at it for the heck of it and after hearing how much he wanted for it and how old it was, I felt good with the decision I made to get a Chinese lathe from Matt. My next one is going to be a Taiwanese one from him though, like a 1340GT or such.

Yes, all of the modern machines with inch leadscrews have a means to cut metric threads. Very few machines that I'm aware of and are also commonly available on the used market, built/designed prior to the 1970's can natively cut metric threads. In some cases, a modification can be done with a couple extra shafts and custom gears. In the case of the Sheldons and LeBlonds I was looking at, it's not really feasible without a full re-design of the gearbox. Some of the newer units (1980's vintage) supported metric natively but those machines are selling for about $3000 more.

Ray

My lathe has imperial lead screw and can cut many metric threads, but it cannot cut any metric thread. This is expected, due to the limitations of the change gears. I was looking to see if I could cut a 3.5mm pitch thread for a member of my wood turning club and found the chart for my metal lathe did not include this metric pitch.

I have cut other more common metric threads.

Really like the thoughtful responses in this post. What really amazes me is the quality and features found on the larger (11"+) Asian lathes, especially for the price. Trying to find an old lathe at any price with a D1 camlock spindle, +/- 0.0001" spindle runout, hardened and ground everything, no bed wear and all basic tooling is going to be nearly impossible.

The other real benefit to PM machines is the large spindle bore available: 1" on the 10" machine and 1 1/2" on the 11" and 12". Old
machines in the same size range are usually less.

The other real benefit to PM machines is the large spindle bore available: 1" on the 10" machine and 1 1/2" on the 11" and 12". Old
machines in the same size range are usually less.
Ideally, I would love to have a 4-3/4" spindle bore on a 14" lathe in my shop! :big grin: Not going to get it unless I build it.

EDIT: I might settle for a 3-5/8" hole in the spindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are willing to wait, look for bargains and put in some sweat equity the older machines can be a good value. I do see many older machines listed for crazy prices but once in a while some bargains do come along. I paid $250 for my Logan 820 with quick change gear box, steady and follower rest, 3 & 4 jaw chucks and a few other odds and ends. I spent about another $300 and probably 60 hours labor cleaning it up, fixing and painting. It's not perfect but it gets the job done for what I want to do. I very much enjoy fixing and using older machines. Most of the work I have done on my Logan has been making or repairing parts for other older machines! If that's not your thing then by all means buy something new. I don't think this is a one answer fits all question.

Back